why "blanch" instead of "boil" veggies?

CT_

I feel like I'm doing it wrong.  Directions I read for feeding zucchini all say to blanch and then feed it and take it out in a day or so so it doesn't rot.  I find when I do this there's interest from my otos and shrimp for the first hour or so then there's 1-1.5 days where there's little interest except from one or two shrimp, then at some point it gets furiously eaten and is gone in like 6 hours.  Seems to me like the "rotting" makes it taste better.  I haven't tried to cook them more aggressively but it seems like that would be even better if they like things softer.

Am I doing it wrong?  I've followed fish-specific blanching instructions on the stove( and the microwave (put in water, bring to boil, stop, cool, feed).

The softer and mushier the food, the easier it is for shrimp and snails to eat and the more they'll enjoy it. I don't mind letting uneaten food sit in the tank and soften up. I only take it out when it starts molding but I generally know my tanks really well and have gotten really good at feeding just the right amount so this doesn't happen often. There are some ways you can make it better. One is by breaking up the food in to smaller pieces. More surface area means it softens up faster in water and the animals find it more manageable. I also spread the food around the tank so they all have a bigger chance to bump in to some food.

You can boil, it's fine to do so and I do it too. Boiling does lose some of the nutrition from food but unless you're boiling for a long time it's not that significant. You can also feed more food that is already soft by nature. I feed a lot of frozen peas/corn and leafy greens. Instead of boiling, another technique you can use is to let the food start to expire (but not mold) then freeze it. Once you thaw it, it'll be soggy and soft and you can feed it straight like that without boiling.

• Like 3