Algae Ecosystem Journal

Never thought I would be interested in following along on a journey to grow algae. I really have enjoyed this so far and can’t wait to see the algae flowing (if the pupfish allow that to ever happen). And speaking of the pupfish, I think the blue comes through nicely. (I’m always a sucker for blue in any fish) such a cool character 😎!

My instinct (as always when I see something I like) is to do some research and possibly long term help in the resurgence of these fish! Not sure how but when (yes when not if) you are successful in breeding…ummmm🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2021 at 7:29 AM, Atitagain said:

Never thought I would be interested in following along on a journey to grow algae. I really have enjoyed this so far and can’t wait to see the algae flowing (if the pupfish allow that to ever happen). And speaking of the pupfish, I think the blue comes through nicely. (I’m always a sucker for blue in any fish) such a cool character 😎!

My instinct (as always when I see something I like) is to do some research and possibly long term help in the resurgence of these fish! Not sure how but when (yes when not if) you are successful in breeding…ummmm🤔

I agree with you on that. I think @OnlyGenusCaps may start an interest in the continuation of this species from some forum members. I have always loved algae (🙄 I know, I am weird) and this is quite an interesting project. I absolutely love it!

Nerms for Pupfish!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/4/2021 at 9:29 AM, Atitagain said:

I’m always a sucker for blue in any fish

I suffer from the same affliction.

Not sure how but when (yes when not if) you are successful in breeding

You have too much faith in me.  We shall see how it goes.

and possibly long term help in the resurgence of these fish!

Glad to hear it!  If I manage to breed them successfully, I am slated to get my fist offspring to the zoo to shore up their stocks.  I then want to get them out more widely.  I do think if they are more widely kept it will help secure their future.  Twin Cities Guppies has expressed interest, and so have folks at MAS (who also want me to write an educational piece on them).  But I'd like to get them out of the area for broader distribution as well.  Hopefully I'll have the success that will allow me to do so. 

On 11/4/2021 at 10:46 AM, eatyourpeas said:

Nerms for Pupfish!

Yes!!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

It is with a heavy heart that I post my last update on this journal.  The pupfish have contracted some disease and treatments are not working.  They are slowly slipping away from me.  I am dedicated to succeeding with them, and so I will be cleaning out this tank and starting it over, but not as an algal system the next time.  It will be a more traditional planted tank, which I hope will be better for their needs in an aquarium.  I'd like to do an algal system one day, but my priority will be succeeding with these pupfish for now.

I thought I would end the journal with a video of from when they were doing well.  Happier times and hope of a bright future with the species.  For those who have followed, thanks.  It was fun sharing the journey with you.

• Sad 7

I am so sorry @OnlyGenusCaps, I feel your sorrow.  

May your next endeavor be a little easier maintenance wise, and a lot more successful pupfish wise.

I'll try to get pictures tomorrow, but you inspired me to play with some algae.in a few weeks, I am going to try @xXInkedPhoenixX sewing suggestion on one of the hair algae clumps, and see if I can 'make' a marimo ball replacement. 

Thank you for sharing your successes and your 'failures", to continue to inspire the rest of us as there are no true failures... only varying degrees of painful learning opportunities. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1