Acclimate your fish!

Sun.singh1991

@Odd DuckBecause we could always be found staring at fish and alligators under plastic palm trees, FW Woolworths was the only store where my little brother and I could get away with leaving  mom's sight.  @gardenmanThe nearby WT Grant Co. store was the place to by fish.  The transition from fish bowl to aquarium took me to  WTGC.  The fish traveled in a tall take home food box cradled between my legs to avoid spilling the water in the car.  

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 10:23 AM, Tanked said:

@Odd DuckBecause we could always be found staring at fish and alligators under plastic palm trees, FW Woolworths was the only store where my little brother and I could get away with leaving  mom's sight.  @gardenmanThe nearby WT Grant Co. store was the place to by fish.  The transition from fish bowl to aquarium took me to  WTGC.  The fish traveled in a tall take home food box cradled between my legs to avoid spilling the water in the car.  

The food boxes were actually a pretty neat way to transport fish as the fish were somewhat insulated and simply staring at blank white walls. Assuming they didn't get tilted too much or knocked over it was pretty good for the fish. I haven't seen it done for decades, but it was the "normal" way I bought many of my fish in my youth. Plastic bags took over before too long, but those boxes were the way to go for a while.

On 7/27/2021 at 9:29 AM, gardenman said:

Yeah, the South Jersey, Delaware, Southeastern PA region was great for fish hobbyists in the sixties, seventies, eighties, and into the nineties.

I’m on the Eastern Shore in MD (near-ish to DE) and it’s a bit sad to realize how many great fish stores used to be here! 

• Sad 1

On 7/27/2021 at 3:44 PM, ChefConfit said:

@Gideyon fish hut if in saddlebrook. That's north jersey about an hour north of me in Central Jersey so probably atleast 3 hours for the south Jersians

Close! 2 hours from my location.... but of course there's the NY traffic to contend with. It's a bit too much of a hassle to try it out in any case!

If I'm traveling two hours, it's more to That Pet Place in Lancaster. It's an easier drive and they have a vast selection. There's also lots of other stuff to do in the area. That Pet Place now sells fish mail order at good prices, so it's probably cheaper given gas prices and tolls, to just order what I want and have it delivered.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 4:41 PM, gardenman said:

If I'm traveling two hours, it's more to That Pet Place in Lancaster. It's an easier drive and they have a vast selection. There's also lots of other stuff to do in the area. That Pet Place now sells fish mail order at good prices, so it's probably cheaper given gas prices and tolls, to just order what I want and have it delivered.

It's on my list to check out the next time I'm in Lancaster County

On 7/25/2021 at 8:52 AM, TMartins said:

If I followed my LFS on acclimating my fish it would take hours…LOL!!!  Plop and drop for me too!!!

Same here!

I think one of the main reasons LFS may reccemend a lengthy acclimation process is that they don't want their fish to die the day its brought home. A longer acclimation process may be less stressfull for the fish in some ways.

But yeah, plop and drop for me too! Haven't had any bad outcomes from doing so.

Plop and drop is fine but what about the impact with the water?

The aircraft is flying at around 100kts (120m/h) assume that the fish hit the water at 80m/h. If we will hit something at that speed we will be dead which raises the question how many fish are killed or injured?