So I recently decided to go down the road of attempting my first planted tank.  I ordered Anubias Nana, Water Sprite, and Amazon Sword from Co-OP that should be arriving Friday..  My goal for this tank is for it to be a guppy tank.  I have a small amount of guppy grass that I had floating in my grow out tank.  Apparently guppy grass is hard to come by in Florida.  What are some other good floating plants to add?  I should mention this will be a low tech tank.  

I am going to try reaching out at my local fish club to see if anyone has any floating plants available since my LFS does not.

Also what would be a good amount of guppies for a 20L? I picked up 6 females and 3 males today and they are in my makeshift quarantine tank.  

56 minutes ago, jerseychef said:

So I recently decided to go down the road of attempting my first planted tank.  I ordered Anubias Nana, Water Sprite, and Amazon Sword from Co-OP that should be arriving Friday..  My goal for this tank is for it to be a guppy tank.  I have a small amount of guppy grass that I had floating in my grow out tank.  Apparently guppy grass is hard to come by in Florida.  What are some other good floating plants to add?  I should mention this will be a low tech tank.  

I am going to try reaching out at my local fish club to see if anyone has any floating plants available since my LFS does not.

Also what would be a good amount of guppies for a 20L? I picked up 6 females and 3 males today and they are in my makeshift quarantine tank.  

The water sprite can be floated or planted. You can also use dwarf Sagittarius in that tank. The # of Guppy’s sounds about right.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jerseychef

If you want true floater plants then I would have to say they would require moderate lighting otherwise they might just break apart. I tried growing Amazon Frog bit in low tech but it was barely surviving. I haven't got a hold of water sprite yet so go for it if others approve. Some float java moss as its very low tech. If your daring enough you could try duck weed but once this plant goes in you're never getting rid of it so SERIOUSLY add it at your own risk.

Goodluck, FAFNF