New Hitchhikers

Steve A

I received 9 new plants 3 days ago and got them planted.

So far I have found 16 hitchhiker from them and I have them hard at work on part of the tank I cant reach, more bang for my buck  🙂    

7-21-21_HIthchikers.jpg

Edited by Steve A
add pic
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 7:38 PM, Steve A said:

That is a idea but about 2 weeks ago I got 2 Gold Mystery Snails and they seem to have brought 4 babies with them too.

My understanding is the newly hatched ones will crawl inside the adult shell occasionally.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 6:40 PM, Guppysnail said:

My understanding is the newly hatched ones will crawl inside the adult shell occasionally.

Thanks, I did not know that, I have found out that a Mystery Snail can bury itself

Can snails hitchhike on other snails? The only thing I added to a long established tank was a couple of mystery snails and found a random ramshorn snail in the tank now. I try hard not to cross contaminate my tanks. And the tank with the mysterious ramshorn is always the first tank I work on.

On 7/24/2021 at 9:09 PM, The Goatee said:

Can snails hitchhike on other snails?

Yes. At hatching mini ramshorns and bladders look like a speck of dust. Not discernible to the naked eye as a snail.  They snag in nets on gravel vacs on algae scrubbers. If I’m doing a lot of inside work I have seen a suspicious pinhead dot of water on my hand a time or two that inspecting turned out to be a baby bladder. The small babies also from my understanding do occasionally crawl inside the shells of others. Also bladders are born pregnant lol 🤣If they do not find a mate in roughly 8 weeks they lay a clutch they have fertilized themselves. I can verify I placed one beautiful honey gold bladder in a tank with zero snails straight gravel and fake plants because I wanted my bladders to be her color in that tank. And waited and waited roughly 8 weeks a clutch appeared on the glass. 😁

this is her meet honey

078E7929-6681-4C02-A7DE-B6D4C4657397.jpeg

• Like 1