Male Angel aggressive to female mate.

Ryan W8

So I have a breeding pair of angels. The female hasnt laid eggs in probably 2 months but had 2 spawns previously.. and now the male of the pair is actively becoming aggressive to the female.. 

Is this normal? Suggestions? If I remove one for one to heal is it going to ruin the breeding pair? 

Thanks in advance!

In my experience angels can be separated and later put back together pretty easily and they will pair back up.  They will usually switch mates fairly easily as well.  I feel you have a few options.  Give them some line of sight breaks if you don't have any.  Separate the pair and let them heal up a bit then put them back together and that might even induce spawning again.  Give them some really fast dither fish like zebra danios.  Or get a new male.  Chances are the female will pair up with any male you put in there if given a bit of time.  

Best of luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tank is running at about 80- 81f and previous spawns went well but they were in community tanks which ate the spawns. So I moved them to their own 29 and haven't spawned since. They are in their own tank with nothing but heater, breeder cone, and 2 sponge filters. 1 kind of ish line of sight break. Thanks for all the suggestions. Just never expected the "husband" to beat his "wife" but I guess that's me being a dumb human lol. 

So I currently have the male in a Lee's specimen container with airstone floating in same tank as female.. the female seems to have spawning behavior but isn't cleaning a surface. Really don't want to mess up my pair but I may have to.  Have a 55g with 4 angels and none have paired off.. wondering if I should switch angels.. idk

Well he seems to have stopped after being warded off from her for 3 days. Still have no spawning though. Currently going through medications as I see white sticky stuff flowing off the fins of the veil angel. After that I will levamisole them. Maybe that will help them feel better to spawn. Have fed heavily to entice spawning. But have to be careful as there is no cleanup crew other than some snails.

Edit: the male isn't eating as aggressive as he used to. Makes me think internal parasites. 

Edited by Ryan W8

• 4 weeks later...

So they had a spawn again but he didn't seem to fertilize very well. She laid all over a crooked piece of spiderwood so assume it was hard for him to follow. Idk why she does this but there is a breeding cone in the tank and can't seem to find a breeding slate anywhere. The spawn failed as all the eggs got eaten. Now the male is picking her into a corner again. I'm lost as what to do really. And is kinda demoralizing. Can't seem to find info anywhere on why a proven pair seem to end up fighting. 

Still cannot get the male to stop beating the female into a corner of the tank and not sure what else to do. Have done water changes to possibly remove fish hormones. But have had to completely remove the male to another tank. I'm at a loss..

On 8/31/2021 at 4:05 PM, s1_ said:

Fish have personalities like people and sometimes they just dont get along.

Hmm just strange I've never been able.tp find info on why a proven pair would eventually start fighting. 🤔  I'll keep trying. She absolutely loves him it seems no matter what until he starts beating on her. Soon as I put him back in the tank with her she swims right to him and starts her breeding dance lol but he doesn't stand for it for long.

I got slates from Amazon for attaching to, and sinking, driftwood.  The cheapest were sold as charcuterie “boards”.  I can see that these are “currently unavailable” but you could search for similar. These are 12” x 8” and a single slate has sunk 2 pieces of driftwood so far.  Well, 3 if you count both parts of a cut piece of driftwood.

E16038D6-82C5-499B-B4CC-50424BEE7632.png