Hello, just starting a journal about this spawn of my apisto agassizii fire red pair. I’ve only had them for 1 week and they are in a 3.5 gal cube while they quarantine. And I saw the female in the cave I put in. And I checked it with my light and sure enough there are eggs, I typically artificially hatch all my fish just due to the fact I’ve had more personal success doing it that way. So I pulled the eggs and put them in a clean tank with 50% water from a established tank and 50% new. Heater and an air stone in front of the cave to try and create some water movement. And I replaced the cave in the pairs tank. And I checked back later that day and I must have caught them mid-spawn because She laid more eggs in the new cave. So we will see if the ones I pulled are fertile. And I’ll post my progress and steps as I go.  Ps to a admin I am having hard time with the pictures loading in sideways.

554CDA66-DB8F-4B8F-80F8-602BBCF8D5A5.jpeg

1608A783-7DE5-4338-BDA8-248D69AB5AB9.jpeg

6BD64771-2F4F-47D0-9C3A-98007B93B17E.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

The spawn failed to be fertilized I must have pulled the eggs during the process. But sure enough 3 days ago I had eggs again and now I believe I’m on day 2 or 3 of wrigglers. I left them with the parents currently. I will probably move them this weekend I’ll have to figure out where to move them.  Now I’ll be able to keep updates coming fingers crossed 

F564AF11-D196-4234-A8B0-B486D5925E9D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, FrostiesFishes said:

The spawn failed to be fertilized I must have pulled the eggs during the process. But sure enough 3 days ago I had eggs again and now I believe I’m on day 2 or 3 of wrigglers. I left them with the parents currently. I will probably move them this weekend I’ll have to figure out where to move them.  Now I’ll be able to keep updates coming fingers crossed 

F564AF11-D196-4234-A8B0-B486D5925E9D.jpeg

Wow that’s Awesome! Good luck!

Today I was doing my water changes and As I mentioned in the previous post I was going to remove the fry today. So I was doing my water changes and I checked on the fry this morning before I started the water changes and they were all accounted for in the cave. Well In about three hours time when I got to the pairs tank. The fry were gone! Kicking myself for not starting with pulling the fry first, I started to pull the java fern out and the cave and see if the fry had maybe started to free swim but I had my doubts about that because they still had decent sized yoke sacks attached to them. And They were probably a day or two out from that stage. So I started to look for them and found them scattered around the tank floor. So the adults haven’t eaten them. But now I’ve ripped the tank apart and that stress may cause the adults to now eat the fry. But I planned on pulling them anyway. So I lowered the water level and got in the tank with my little eye dropper and started to collect the fry. I then removed them and put them in a spawning jar. I figured I didn’t get all the fry so it’ll be interesting to see if the parents still raise the few I missed. In the picture they are the little red dots. I’ve never seen red eggs So that’s pretty Interesting . And for the life of me idk why it keeps posting the pictures sideways BE84F893-C774-4B1B-9505-DB0ECE3C3F98.jpeg.6ad11e094928a6f1797264414dcf0848.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I think my love affair with Apistogramma started when I got my first spawn from agassizii and the eggs were so, so red. @FrostiesFishes congratulations!

On the sideways pictures thing, one device seems to have more of this than others, that is iPhones. See @Cory's post below:

Posts like yours are my favorite kind. You are having success with healthy fish. That leads to breeding, then fry, then free swimming cute babies. It is my favorite part of the hobby. And when you post photos and give frequent updates, I get a vicarious thrill. Thank you!

• Thanks 1

Congrats, I just got my first Apistos almost 2 weeks ago, and had my first Apisto spawn yesterday. I'm not pulling them or anything, I don't have a tank to raise them in currently, although I did pick up some frozen bbs and cyclops last weekend when I saw the parents doing the dance.. I already got clearance from the boss to go pick up a 10 gallon if anyone's left tomorrow morning.

More babies, because Babies!!!

IMG_0793.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, faydout said:

Congrats, I just got my first Apistos almost 2 weeks ago, and had my first Apisto spawn yesterday. I'm not pulling them or anything, I don't have a tank to raise them in currently, although I did pick up some frozen bbs and cyclops last weekend when I saw the parents doing the dance.. I already got clearance from the boss to go pick up a 10 gallon if anyone's left tomorrow morning.

More babies, because Babies!!!

IMG_0793.jpg

Lucky.  Got mine a couple weeks ago.  No joy yet, but they are still a little younger.  

• Like 2

@Daniel thanks I appreciate that, I try to give a good idea of what I’m doing and why and hopefully help other people out with my posts.

@faydout that’s awesome, I want to leave the fry eventually , makes it easier on me. But this is my only pair and I like to make sure I can keep them going and pick specific traits out if possible. 

• Like 1

I feel really lucky. Mom's a great parent. She's been fighting Cory's off this whole time, but seems to have figured out that the little coral pipette means bbs for the babies so she stands back to let me feed. I've been keeping up on that, 4 times a day. She's kept 10 - 15 alive so far and isn't fully grown herself yet. Dad's pretty much a fly by Chucky Cheese parent,

All that said. if I manage 1 female out of this spawn I'll be happy. I wanted, planned for, and made space for a harem and I'm a female short of that (the online place I got them only did pairs).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Update- I’ve moved the fry from the jar and combined them with some angelfish fry of the same size. I have them all growing up in a 29 gal that I have a divider in. The parents were moved to a 5 gal and have spawned again but looks like she ate the eggs on the second day, I think it might have something to do with the wide opening on the cave, tbh I got them at a swap and I know they’re some sort of seed pod but that’s about it. See attached photos. 

5075772F-078C-47BA-9BA5-8B530D59770F.jpeg

C48E7F51-3D32-4814-B38F-CDDDD30C050F.jpeg

Edited by FrostiesFishes
  • Like 2