What kind of snail is this?

AJE

So I ordered some snails that were labeled as Malasian trumpet snails off eBay and these arrived. I have never seen malasian trumpet snails that look like this, they are bigger than the average mts and they are a lot thicker than mts of similar lengths. Any idea what exactly they are?007F36AF-F36F-4EA0-A3F6-E763FB81B87D.jpeg.983eb8f07c89fafde903e042c387a61f.jpeg

On 7/22/2021 at 10:04 PM, AJE said:

So I ordered some snails that were labeled as Malasian trumpet snails off eBay and these arrived. I have never seen malasian trumpet snails that look like this, they are bigger than the average mts and they are a lot thicker than mts of similar lengths. Any idea what exactly they are?007F36AF-F36F-4EA0-A3F6-E763FB81B87D.jpeg.983eb8f07c89fafde903e042c387a61f.jpeg

You got a pretty good photo for an identifier here. It is a Melanoides tuberculata or what was sold to you as a Malaysian Trumpet snail. There are several different species and varieties of MTS, some larger some smaller.

The photo you took shows the snails pallial tentacles, which are those weird finger like projections above it's head. The pallial tentacles are a part of an MTS respiratory system. Nice photo! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This definitely looks like a trumpet snail (Thiaridae family). It doesn't look like an MTS though, whilst they can get bigger they don't get this big and their cone tends to segment closer to the top, is thinner and tapers off sharper. I think this might be a Thiara scabra, in the first photo I think I see a circular row of white protrusions that this species has. It's hard to say without clearer, closer up photos but maybe you can check against it yourself to confirm if it looks just like it Gestachelte-Turmdeckelschnecke-Thiara-wi