Honey gourami turning darker colors

DannyBWell

These are the first gouramis I've had so not sure if this is normal but as you can see in the picture my one honey gourami is darkening below it's eye and on its fin beneath it's belly the other honey gourami I have is doing the same thing just not as much as this one is this normal? I read they may darken during mating is this what's happening, is that true? Sorry for the picture quality they were being very shy.

20210722_102747.jpg

20210722_102833.jpg

This is absolutely normal and a great sign! This fish is a male honey gourami and he's starting to color up and put on his 'breeding jacket.' Male honeys get a black throat when they're in the mood. Enjoy!

EDIT: The dominant male also wears the black coloration, so they might be competing for dominance if they are both male.

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 11:03 AM, laritheloud said:

This is absolutely normal and a great sign! This fish is a male honey gourami and he's starting to color up and put on his 'breeding jacket.' Male honeys get a black throat when they're in the mood. Enjoy!

EDIT: The dominant male also wears the black coloration, so they might be competing for dominance if they are both male.

Great! I hope they don't get too aggressive towards each other they've always gotten along great since I've had them.