Need some help.... Not sure what to do?

Rachel Woodhams-Vasquez

I really don't know what to do. My black Moor is really sick and I have tried everything. That I know of... She has to have swim bladder. I feel so bad. I don't know what to do. Everyone says "it's just a fish" I don't want her to go but I just don't know if she would be better off?? Does anyone have some advice or something. I don't even know what to do.

• Like 1

I don't know anything about treating swim bladders. I hope someone else can help. 

But I can offer the encouragement of telling you you're right. There's no such thing as "just" a life. It's good of you to care about the experience she's having. You've got your heart on the right track, and that will guide your decisions well. 

Since it's the wee hours of the morning (where I am), and I don't know if anyone can jump on to help soon, I suggest googling some info on clove oil. Not saying to use it - just saying it might be good to go ahead and have that knowledge as an option.

Peace to you and your fishy. 

• Like 2

@Cory has had goldfish in the past with swim bladder issues. I have a betta right now that has swim bladder issues. They can continue to live and lead healthy lives for months/years on end. 

I would look at its quality of life before determining whether to euthanize it or not. 
Does it still swim around the best it can and not sulking in a corner? Is it still actively looking for and pursuing food? Are its fins still intact? Does it seem to be struggling to breathe, like always gasping at the top? 

Making the decision to euthanize a fish is never an easy one. I’ve had to do it in the past for a wet pet and it can be killer. Until you have made a decision, I would give your Goldie the best care I could provide: adding 1 tbsp of salt per 2-3 gallons, more frequent water changes, and feeding lots of healthy foods like frozen brine shrimp and even duckweed. 

Good luck 👍🏻 

• Like 1

For swim bladder you want to do epsom salt bath 1 table spoon for 2 gallons 2-3 times aday for no more than 15 minutes as it acts as a muscle relaxant and lower the water level in your tank so it just a couple of inches above your fish so it can right it's self more easily some swim bladder issue can be caused by a bacterial infection so I would also do a course of maracyn try not feeding for a couple days as the stomach can put pressure on the swim bladder when they have over eaten

Edited by Colu
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys. Thank you for all your help. When I had posted this I was treating her with Maracyn and Paracleanse. And of course Salt but not at the same time. I do have to say, this is my fault. I know I feed her to much, in the beginning. Obviously after the fact, it was to late. I thought I had it under control. But now it seems like over all this time it has tooken it's toll on her. I stopped feeding her like I was in the beginning so long ago. This being my 1st fish ever. I would most definitely of do things different and wish I did ALL the research before I got her. There is so much more to fish keeping than people think. And I am so sick of hearing "it's just a fish"... I'm still trying. I feel so bad, but hoping for the best. I really do appreciate the advice. She seems a little better. But then she will be on the bottom sitting there. Not herself at all. I feel bad. I'm gonna wait an see how this pans out within the next week and go from there.

I agree. Don’t feel bad. The first fish I had when getting into this hobby was a betta, and he didn’t live more than a few months. There is SO much to learn and it’s just not possible to get everything right the first time. Still hoping your little buddy pulls through. ❤️

• Like 1

I agree with the above comments.  We should of course do our best to take good care of the fish and other animals we're responsible for, but we're all human and make mistakes.

The only reason you should blame yourself would be if you continued making the same mistakes instead of learning from them.

• 1 month later...

Maybe someone can help me here. I have a black moor that was upside down this morning when I woke I tested the water there is nitrites in the water I did a 30% change. He lives with a dojo and hillstream loaches in a 40 breeder that has been set up since November last year. If it was caused by the nitrites what do I do? They all eat repashy,duckweed,bug bites, cichlid excel, brine shrimp and blood worms sometimes. I do weekly water changes on this tank every Thursday. I have no idea what caused this! The only filter that I clean weekly is the intake sponge the rest get cleaned when I see a change in flow which is about every 2 months or so and I never do more than one in a water change. How can I help my fat Albert. 

On 9/1/2021 at 4:01 PM, Staceyh527 said:

Maybe someone can help me here. I have a black moor that was upside down this morning when I woke I tested the water there is nitrites in the water I did a 30% change. He lives with a dojo and hillstream loaches in a 40 breeder that has been set up since November last year. If it was caused by the nitrites what do I do? They all eat repashy,duckweed,bug bites, cichlid excel, brine shrimp and blood worms sometimes. I do weekly water changes on this tank every Thursday. I have no idea what caused this! The only filter that I clean weekly is the intake sponge the rest get cleaned when I see a change in flow which is about every 2 months or so and I never do more than one in a water change. How can I help my fat Albert. 

You may want to post this separately as it’s own topic to get the most help as most folks may not see it at the end of this one. Good luck with your fish friend.