Name a vehicle company or model and I will tell you "Everything wrong with it" or "Everything great about it"

Dwayne Brown

On 7/22/2021 at 8:17 PM, Dwayne Brown said:

Depends on budget and what you truly want out of a vehicle. What are some must haves for your vehicle?

2006 Toyota Corolla, shoestring budget, and I want my car to start in any weather, which she does. No complaints here.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 6:22 PM, laritheloud said:

7 or 8 seats for a car load of kids, USB chargers in the back, easy to clean faux leather or leather seats, sliding doors for kids and elderly to climb in and out easily plus leg room, safe and reliable, collapsible back row for cargo space, Apple CarPlay, everything else is bells and whistles. We love hybrids but we also know the Toyota Sienna is the only hybrid so it’s not a must have. We want to keep it under 40k ideally but we have wiggle room.

Ok thats a lot of requirements. I would not get the kia, it is its first year and usually you get a lot of problems the first year. After a few years either the engineers have fixed or the company is selling so many of them they dont care. The honda oddysey is another option but the reliability for that car hasnt been there for the past few years. The toyota sienna would be a great option. As far as hybrids go for me the price versus mpg benefit is not there. Of course there are always full sized vans. Which seat a lot. If you dont mind regular doors the toyota highlander subaru outback and honda pilot and passport are all options. I would stay away of any ford, gm, kia, nissan, and hyundai suvs. Usually the most reliable cars are lightweight sedans that put less strain on the engine or heavy duty pickups or vans. The exceptions to this are most honda and toyota suvs. All of these as far as I know are safe and im not sure about everything else you asked. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 9:51 PM, Dwayne Brown said:

Ok thats a lot of requirements. I would not get the kia, it is its first year and usually you get a lot of problems the first year. After a few years either the engineers have fixed or the company is selling so many of them they dont care. The honda oddysey is another option but the reliability for that car hasnt been there for the past few years. The toyota sienna would be a great option. As far as hybrids go for me the price versus mpg benefit is not there. Of course there are always full sized vans. Which seat a lot. If you dont mind regular doors the toyota highlander subaru outback and honda pilot and passport are all options. I would stay away of any ford, gm, kia, nissan, and hyundai suvs. Usually the most reliable cars are lightweight sedans that put less strain on the engine or heavy duty pickups or vans. The exceptions to this are most honda and toyota suvs. All of these as far as I know are safe and im not sure about everything else you asked. 

My husband just asked if we could consider SUVs instead of minivans and I gave him permission. 😉 Nissan and Hyundai weren't on the table. I expressed the same reservations about the Kia despite my husband's love affair with the new model. I was most interested in toyota because of their reliability, but they didn't have any cars on the lot to test drive. I wasn't as big a fan of Honda. We're mostly biding our time until the market eases up, because the dealers around here just don't have much on their lots to test!

We absolutely love our Subaru, I'm not sure if the Outback has improved cargo space over our Forester but we'll investigate. 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 5:34 PM, laritheloud said:

I've got nothing exciting, just a very dependable Subaru Forester 2015 for my soccer mom self. Looking to upgrade my soccer mom status with a minivan and my husband's sold on the Kia Carnival. Looking to hear your thoughts and possibly selling me on a different make/model of minivan 🤣

Not to try and steal away @Dwayne Brown's thread but if I were in the market for a new minivan it would be between the Kia Carnival and the Chrysler Pacifica. While I absolutely cannot recommend anything else in Chrysler's lineup they spent a billion dollars designing the Pacifica and it shows. It does come in hybrid but you would be looking at probably around $45K out the door for that one. The Kia Carnival will be also getting a hybrid drivetrain this upcoming year and will be similarly priced. The Toyota and Honda products are becoming dated and if you were in the used market I would recommend the Honda Odyssey, but people caught on to the odyssey being a great utility hauler, and the used prices reflect that. 

On 7/22/2021 at 4:58 PM, quikv6 said:

Dwayne, I'll jump in since I am a car guy. Curious to your thoughts.  I'll use my 2 non-daily driver cars....which unfortunately sit most of the time. There's just not enough hours in the day.

1) 1987 Buick Grand National

2) 2006 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG

I am in LOVE with the buick grand national! It is featured in a Run the Jewels music video for a reason, it is peak 1980's american muscle. I have so much phantom nostalgia for the 80's cars. I am intrigued at how many of us are car guys/gals. Never would have thought.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 4:37 PM, lefty o said:

no,no,no 70 Road Runner, which was my first car.

I didn’t say I liked the Challenger best of the Dodges, just better than the Dart of that year.  😉 

If I’m voting for best Dodge muscle car of that era, it would probably have to be a ‘69 Coronet.  I know, I know, but hubby and I had one for decades.  It was under 12 in the quarter with the back seat still in and wasn’t even tubbed.

My vote for the muscle car I never had but always wanted, has to be a 1956 Corvette convertible in Arctic Blue.  It wouldn’t even have to be numbers matched because I’d want to upgrade suspension/handling, and play with the motor a bit.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1

My daily driver is a 1999 Mazda Miata, year 'round, in Utah. I put a 10 gallon aquarium in it once, it took up the whole passenger side, it wouldn't fit in the trunk. The car is very impractical but I throw the top down and drive it like I stole it grinning like a fool.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Biotope Biologist I would have recommended the chrysler pacifica to, if it not for the fact that with the exception of ram heavy duty trucks, the dodge challenger and chrysler 300. All chrysler fiat vehicles are very unreliable and prone to mechanical failures. Yes they did spend a ton redesigning it but they dont seem to care about the horrible quality and longevity of their products.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 9:42 PM, Ken said:

My daily driver is a 1999 Mazda Miata, year 'round, in Utah. I put a 10 gallon aquarium in it once, it took up the whole passenger side, it wouldn't fit in the trunk. The car is very impractical but I throw the top down and drive it like I stole it grinning like a fool.

Of all older sports cars that you can drive without having to worry about reliability or high miles the miata is the only one.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 10:15 AM, Streetwise said:

Tell us more about the Lada cars! 

I am no car expert :) and can only tell about them long in the past. Back then, Nivas were great! From today's point of view...well, I guess they are probably still great, for those of tough body, strong mind, and tons of endurance. Totally not recommended for people wishing for (even the most basic) comforts and (any) ease of driving, let's put it this way. Still kinda cool though :) 

On 7/23/2021 at 10:28 AM, Dwayne Brown said:

Wow thats a cool car to learn to drive on. If you dont mind me asking, you do any serious offroading in it.

No... I don't even own one.  But those cars used to feel like one is driving on a wild terrain no matter what :)

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 9:50 PM, Streetwise said:

What are the best vehicles for moving aquariums? Use your own criteria.

I have moved a lot of aquariums with the two Dodge Grand Caravans that I have owned. The one I have now is a 2010, inherited it as my daily driver when I bought the wife a new Buick SUV, has the stow n go seats which is handy when I come across something and need to fold seats down to get it home. I also like because with the seats down I can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in and still be able to close tailgate, and I can tow a small trailer with it. 

• Like 2

@Beardedbillygoat1975 The Subaru outback's are a good awd wagon/suv choice. The 2015 GMC sierra on the other hand I have very strong opinions about. In my opinion most newer (2008-now) GMC vehicles that are not the heavy duty ones, are extremely unreliable. Now that may not be a concern for a lot of people but it is for me. But The GMC sierra is nice, if you want something that is upholstered well, has a more quite ride... But other than that they have sub par reliability (especially GMCs 1500 models) and the repair cost on them is much more than other similar vehicles. 

Just my humble opinion😁

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 11:08 AM, Dwayne Brown said:

@Beardedbillygoat1975 The Subaru outback's are a good awd wagon/suv choice. The 2015 GMC sierra on the other hand I have very strong opinions about. In my opinion most newer (2008-now) GMC vehicles that are not the heavy duty ones, are extremely unreliable. Now that may not be a concern for a lot of people but it is for me. But The GMC sierra is nice, if you want something that is upholstered well, has a more quite ride... But other than that they have sub par reliability (especially GMCs 1500 models) and the repair cost on them is much more than other similar vehicles. 

Just my humble opinion😁

As an owner of a 2010 GMC Sierra 1500 I completely agree with this take.  I have gotten pretty good at swapping the oil pressure sensor filter though... Now if only the cruise control would start working again...

My most bullet proof vehicle ever was a my mid 90s toyota T-100. Bought it with 240k miles on it sold it to my dad with 284k on it and he drove it to 310k before selling it 10 years ago.  I still see it occasionally around my home town.

I really want my 1991 Chevy Silverado back though.  Did a bunch of stuff break? yes.  Was it for the most part rusted out? yes (Minnesota winters) Could I go to the junk yard to pick up parts for $20 and do all the work to fix anything myself in my late teens early 20s?  ABSOLUTELY!

• Like 2

I’ve heard differing opinions on 2000s GMC trucks. It was a dealer vehicle - General Managers truck. It had less than 40,000 miles when I purchased it in summer 2019. I’ve had no issues thus far but doesn’t mean it won’t happen. I’ve enjoyed the LS power plant and it’s a much nicer interior and driving experience compared to my last vehicle - 2003 Land Cruiser whose electrics were falling apart. As for reliability in the 2 years of ownership knock on wood no issues. 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 1:25 PM, Streetwise said:

IMG_0807.jpeg.1ed8a4712ed29a40204d86c76c0df421.jpeg

Subaru 3.6R. Mine is the Legacy, mom has the Outback, and I sold my dad the Tribeca.

Nice Fleet! 

I currently have a Legacy Wagon and an old Outback. I recently sold a WRX and had another legacy wagon years ago. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 3

On 7/22/2021 at 9:44 PM, Trish said:

1989 Toyota Toyace Right Hand drive  150,000 km.  Has only ever seen the shop for brakes and a rad.  

20170330_082656.jpg

We have so many of these RHD trucks on Vashon Island. Some are full size like yours but most are the little mini kei trucks. Island folks just gotta be different! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1