Name a vehicle company or model and I will tell you "Everything wrong with it" or "Everything great about it"

Dwayne Brown

On 7/22/2021 at 1:25 PM, Streetwise said:

IMG_0807.jpeg.1ed8a4712ed29a40204d86c76c0df421.jpeg

Subaru 3.6R. Mine is the Legacy, mom has the Outback, and I sold my dad the Tribeca.

Ok I live in the pacific Northwest and we love subarus out here. The legacy is one of the best midsized cars out there I would put it just behind the camry and accord. The outback is good as well some spotty reliability some years. The tribecas are decent. Bad gas milage. Bad towing. Bad 3rd row seating. And the reliability was so so. One thing that makes me afraid to buy a used subaru is their boxer engine. The engines can be hard to work in with a lot of cramped spaces. And the fluids in the engine can pool and corrode the head gaskets. Just my opinion

• Like 1

I towed a lot with the Tribeca, and it was fine with my 749 lbs boat, but I never tried anything bigger. I got a nice hidden hitch setup for the Legacy to use the same way. Towing is the only thing holding me back from watching the WRX and STi used market. I lost my bug eye WRX in Irene, almost a decade ago now. Vermont also loves Subaru, and we are the home of Vermont SportsCar, technical partner for Subaru Motorsports USA.

https://vtcar.com

• Like 1

@Streetwise for most people towing isn't an issue I mean most cars can tow stuff just fine. By the way what kind of boats are popular in vermont? Here in seattle its mostly aluminum boats or large fiberglass ones. 

Here's an example of the very popular aluminum ones. As a side note its not mine its from googleimage.png.ca57c7dd36bce1c507c3a74057bc767f.png

I have also enjoyed coastal sailing in Maine, Marblehead, LIS, Charleston, Key West, and the Caribbean. My dream is to do the Transpac Race from California to Hawaii. My dad did the Marion to Bermuda Race a couple of times when I was small. My mom and I flew out to meet him, and I vaguely remember the white beaches, but having to rinse off in outdoor showers because of oil spills.

There are two advantages here: We don’t have to rinse salt off of our boats, and club membership is close to the price of a ski pass. If I was in LIS or Marblehead, I wouldn’t be able to afford it, not on my public school IT salary.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 4:52 PM, GameCzar said:

Yeah my old Dart wasn't a muscle car.  It had a 225 slant 6 engine.  Super reliable and tough though.

the old slant6 is/was one of the hardest to kill engines on the planet. a little gutless, but they run, and run, and run.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 4:54 PM, lefty o said:

the old slant6 is/was one of the hardest to kill engines on the planet. a little gutless, but they run, and run, and run.

I loved mine.  It was so solid.  Finally I had the torque converter go out so I had to pull over, and before I could come back the next day to tow it some punks had come by and busted out ALL the glass on it.   I couldn't afford to put it back on the road 😞 

• Sad 2

On 7/22/2021 at 5:45 PM, Streetwise said:

I have also enjoyed coastal sailing in Maine, Marblehead, LIS, Charleston, Key West, and the Caribbean.

I miss racing in Marblehead... and the Frostbite sailing... Not much of a car person, but Subaru 360, a fun toy to work on if you are into mechanics.

• Like 1

Dwayne, I'll jump in since I am a car guy. Curious to your thoughts.  I'll use my 2 non-daily driver cars....which unfortunately sit most of the time. There's just not enough hours in the day.

1) 1987 Buick Grand National

2) 2006 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG

• Like 1

I've got nothing exciting, just a very dependable Subaru Forester 2015 for my soccer mom self. Looking to upgrade my soccer mom status with a minivan and my husband's sold on the Kia Carnival. Looking to hear your thoughts and possibly selling me on a different make/model of minivan 🤣

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 5:34 PM, laritheloud said:

I've got nothing exciting, just a very dependable Subaru Forester 2015 for my soccer mom self. Looking to upgrade my soccer mom status with a minivan and my husband's sold on the Kia Carnival. Looking to hear your thoughts and possibly selling me on a different make/model of minivan 🤣

Depends on budget and what you truly want out of a vehicle. What are some must haves for your vehicle?

On 7/22/2021 at 9:17 PM, Dwayne Brown said:

Depends on budget and what you truly want out of a vehicle. What are some must haves for your vehicle?

7 or 8 seats for a car load of kids, USB chargers in the back, easy to clean faux leather or leather seats, sliding doors for kids and elderly to climb in and out easily plus leg room, safe and reliable, collapsible back row for cargo space, Apple CarPlay, everything else is bells and whistles. We love hybrids but we also know the Toyota Sienna is the only hybrid so it’s not a must have. We want to keep it under 40k ideally but we have wiggle room.

On 7/22/2021 at 4:58 PM, quikv6 said:

Dwayne, I'll jump in since I am a car guy. Curious to your thoughts.  I'll use my 2 non-daily driver cars....which unfortunately sit most of the time. There's just not enough hours in the day.

1) 1987 Buick Grand National

2) 2006 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG

The older buicks along with most other american cars were solid builds. And even when they did they were easily repaired. 

The mid 2000s mercedes are great deals if you can find low mileage well maintained ones. The ones after 09 kinda started having problems. I am a fan of those super cool cars that they didnt sell a whole lot of. But that is also a bad thing in that its hard to find replacements if anything major ever breaks. I think that both of those are really cool cars.