Limiting output flow on AquaClear 110

MNG

I bought the AquaClear 110, on recommendation from Friendly Local Fish Store Guy (whom I no longer patronize) for my 65 gallon tank. I noticed the AquaClear 70 on the shelf, which is rated for up to 70 gallons ($35 cheaper...) , but FLFSG said 'you can never have too much filtration'. (That's somewhat debatable, but let's put that aside for now.)

Now, with the 110 I've noticed something that isn't good: The output flow is so strong in my tank that my fish - black neons, black widow tetras, platys - none of which are very strong swimmers, shy away from the output spillage of that filter, which is so strong it means they shy away from at least 25% of the tank. I surmise that as my plants grow, they will also bend away from that area.

Suggestions for limiting the output flow on this filter? It has a flow control button which the instructions mention, but don't explain how to use. I found some videos explaining how to use it, but it has little or no impact on the output flow (several sites have confirmed that it doesn't work). 

I prefer not to shell out another $70 or $80 on a new filter, and go through the mess of transferring the cycling filter material into a new filter, so what's the best way to limit the output flow on this filter? 

I have smaller Aquaclears and am not impressed with the flow adjustment but otherwise like the filters.  It should slow,the flow at least a little to move the adjuster as far to the right as you can.  If that isn’t enough, you could use silicone to slide a prefilter sponge over the outflow.  Cut a slit in the side of the prefilter and slide it on.  You will have to have the prefilter sponge and the filter body clean and dry, then keep dry for at least 48 hours afterwards.

Sometimes the sponge will hold itself in place since there is *just* enough of a lip on the outflow ramp.  At least if the filter rate is turned down.

I’m also in the “no such thing as too much filtration” camp, but there certainly *can* be too much current.

• Like 1

I put a piece of filter floss under the u bend where it suctions the water in it raises the intake off the hole and lowers suction. You have to play with it to get it right. I also put filter floss as top media and cut it so it hangs the entire way down the outflow piece it softens the current as well. 

• Like 4

Cut the top and  bottom off a plastic drink bottle (Costco 16 oz water bottles work great) to the width + a little of the spillzone.

Cut from the "top" down to the "bottom" so you now have a tube with a slit down one side.

Use flat pliers to put in two creases, about 1/2" from the slit, as a "hook" to hang on the side of the tank, under the over spill.

Should diffuse the flow, immediately. 

If it doesn't sufficiently diffuse for your fish, you can easily dry the plastic lip you just created and either silicone or glue coarse sponge filter to further slow down the water, with added benefit of more surface area for colonizing beneficial bacteria. 

Easiest method I found, and doesn't void the warranty. 

• Like 3

I've used homemade yarn spawning mops in hobs to lessen output. I tucked the head of the mops into the top part of the filter and let the ends stream out into the flow. It dispersed the outflow current fairly well. 

• Like 2

All the replies plus the ways you can customize the media are why I actually love the aquaclears. I don't use any currently but I do like em. They do have a strong outflow at full blast, but using a 110 on something like a 65 gallon is pretty common. Just realized it was that friendly local fish store guy lol. I dunno man that guy seemed to know their stuff tbh. They were just opinionated on some things like most fish people are.

Edited by sudofish
  • Like 1

@MNG I would slide the intake tube to the minimum setting and see how that works.

I use the aquaclear 110 on 50 gallon tanks occasionally. 50 gallon puffer colony tanks and dwarf pike tanks I have never had to turn the flow down lower than sliding the intake tube over to the minimum setting in the filter box. One setting is in line with the impeller for max outflow one is off set from that impeller and is the significantly reduced flow minimum setting. Id probably keep the 110 if I had it running on that kind of tank. There is quite a bit you can modify on it to suit your needs. That customization minus that slight inconvenience of likely prime loss if you ever loose power is still worth it in many applications for me.

I would try the minimum setting on the intake and tall plants in front of the outflow to dissipate it further if I had to. I would say the flow is the filtration concern more than the filtration itself. Biological filtration bacteria self-limits in my experience, mechanical just does its thing longer between servicing if you have more of it.  Plant and chemical filtration are the ones that I see being too much occasionally in my set ups: Too much filtration for me falls in either plant or chemical. I do not use chemical filtration normally but anything beyond what provides the benefit i need is too much  and be a waste of my money. Chemical is on hand if I need it to remove meds or for an emergency type response like a break the glass on the fire extinguisher cabinet type event. Plant filtration is my normal "too much" where it has to be serviced to keep the proper balance and swimming spaces I desire.  

• Like 1

I have a large HOB on my 75 and the output flow if pretty high. I just cut the side of a juice bottle and put a notch in the top to hang over the output. It diffuses the output and the otos like to surf in there once in a while. I'll try and add images later. I did something similar on one of my 55 gallon tanks as well.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 8:01 AM, sudofish said:

All the replies plus the ways you can customize the media are why I actually love the aquaclears. I don't use any currently but I do like em. They do have a strong outflow at full blast, but using a 110 on something like a 65 gallon is pretty common. Just realized it was that friendly local fish store guy lol. I dunno man that guy seemed to know their stuff tbh. They were just opinionated on some things like most fish people are.

FLFSG knows some stuff  but is very opinionated and inflexible. He is also somewhat dishonest.

He did recommend the AquaClear because of the ability to customize the media, but I suppose you could do that with any filter really - just buy the filtering media you want and cut to size, but  I never tried it - maybe it won't work.

On 7/22/2021 at 12:11 PM, Tom H said:

Cut and shove a long piece of coarse foam into the intake tube. Added filtration/bacteria capacity and it slows your flow

That sounds like an easy and flexible way to do it. 

• Like 1