FlyingFishKeeper's Aquarium Journal

Hi everyone! I thought I'd start a journal related to the happenings of my 5.5 gallon, I have one tank so don't expect updates too often. (Maybe once or twice a week, I'm not sure yet) so stick around if you want that.

Into to my tank: I started it as a dirted Walstad aquarium in early January, and haven't done a water change since soon after I set it up (to clear up some cloudy water that I didn't know was usual for it) I had to do fish in cycling since I'm sadly not able to currently get another tank to house my animals. My betta came through that. Nothing happened for a few months until April when I got some hornwort from my LFS, aaannnd some hitchhikers in the form of pond snails (which I love in my aquarium), and insect larvae (which I don't love in my aquarium), at the same time I also got some RCS, which had a bit of die off at first, but seem to be happy and breeding now! (I still have to figure out a way to cull... Hopefully without having to kill any..) Soon after my betta came down with gill flukes, which I put him in qt for and treated with meds, he again pulled through, although I'm fairly sure he bit off one of his ventral fins during it. (Although currently he seems fine) A week or two in the past as of writing I also got some red root floaters, and a dwarf aquarium lily, which I LOVE, and they bring a really good amount of contrast to my otherwise green scape. Thanks for reading! Bye! 

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper
  • Like 8

1444443591_ScreenShot2021-07-21at11_14_04AM.png.08f7341714068cc301dd45ca247aa114.png

One of my favourite bits of the tank right now is the part pictured with the lily leaves draping over the apisto cave I got for my betta (not just for apistos!) it blends the non plant matter in really well with the rest of the aquarium. I know there's quite a bit of algae, however I don't really pay much attention to it unless it starts to really get in the way of the aquarium, or is causing issues with the livestock. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

So.. I was getting some food from ACO, and also got some plants, yay! I got some Java moss, and Crypt Pink Flamingo. I can't wait to see how the crypt turns out after it goes through its melting phase. I'm also trying to get the moss to carpet the foreground after my attempt with a different plant. So far I've noticed at least one shrimplet enjoying it. 1448478000_ScreenShot2021-07-24at10_22_57AM.png.3c22dc48383d7707c34dabc63bea0dc8.png

2066983481_ScreenShot2021-07-24at10_23_11AM.png.cb0d7a31011f969122f5791eb6f968ea.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Text only post sorry! After spending probably not enough time reading I tried pollinating the red root floaters I have in my tank that have produced flowers for me! (Although Reddit has some really good threads on the topic) After snapping off my only (what I presume to be, I'm only a few minutes into this as of writing lol) male flower I used a toothpick to put some yellow substance I found on the leaves (and hopefully there was some on the toothpick as well) onto what I presume to be a female flower (I'm not great at sexing flowers...) I'm 75% sure that I didn't do this correctly however I still hope that I can get the fruit/seeds if I did it correctly

Wikipedia page that has a BUNCH of really interesting information (that I only read after I pollinated them...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllanthus_fluitans

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

Update on the red root floaters! Today I just noticed two small red spheres (top center area) that I assume are the fruits of the red root floaters (and the fruits of my labors lol) based off of what I've seen online. I'm not quite sure how to proceed so if anyone has any ideas please share them! Their colour looks a lot like raspberries or strawberries... I'm hungry now lol1023050199_ScreenShot2021-08-10at3_33_12PM.png.0260df8358a96072969b0bb54e054e74.png

• Like 5
  • Love 3

I've only ever heard of two successful attempts of getting Phyllanthus fluitans, or what we call Red Root Floaters, to be propagated through seeds, that however still doesn't pose a problem for them in covering your tank through root shoots.

If you want the leaves bright red your water should be closer to pH 7.5 than 6.5, add liquid iron and high light and the whole plant will turn red. in a blackwater tank closer to pH 6.5 it's hard to get that effect and they will most likely stay mostly green.

Just a general link for those who read this and might want to know more about this floating fern:

https://www.aquariumsource.com/red-root-floater/

This is interesting! If you manage to get plants from seeds, keep posting, and also mention your water parameters, especially pH level.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Nothing like the joy of seeing a nice shrimp on a Friday night in the center of the tank: 942268083_ScreenShot2021-08-27at11_59_10PM.png.ebfbeabc7cf1626c63ef0312f4635135.png

Thank you @Jungle Fan! My pH is usually around 7.0, my hardness is 300+, kh is usually around 100, but this time the green (Tetra strips) looked a bit different so 160 (I never do water changes so minerals build up, even with the plants.) Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all at 0, according to the Tetra Easy Strips. (The numbers that aren't on the reference paper are me guessing what colour they are.) I also have no flow in the tank. 

Over the past week (I think?) the fruits have started to develop green lines, similar to how a clementine divides itself into sections. I noticed two more, one of which I cut open to see what was inside. It had an appearance similar to a nut on the insides (a light tan colour). It had a light fruity smell (Possibly - it was very faint, so it might've been something else) I have a total of three now, I'm planning on letting them sit for the time being, ideas on how to get them to germinate still welcome!

1634167493_ScreenShot2021-08-28at12_24_40AM.png.b461caa69bee03c0d16ba67fae980471.png

1470011270_ScreenShot2021-08-28at12_25_10AM.png.220209b936019d3ab63623962eaa6830.png

(P.S. I got a new camera so there may be some differences than the previous shots)

I also did a bit more pollinating today on the newer flowers so I should hopefully have more on the way!
  • Like 3

On 8/28/2021 at 5:37 AM, Guppysnail said:

I am so envious of your red root floaters!. They are marvelous.  I consistently kill floater RRF, frogbit, and even duckweed. Not sure how. Read all the stuff. Would love to know how you are caring for them that they even flower 😍

Same. They are gorgeous as can be. You know that beta is hoping that bugs will be falling off those leaves. 😆

• Haha 1