Debut of my 75 gal - Need stocking Ideas

Janelle

DC5147A2-8F62-4E11-B151-544FBBC01B26.jpeg.1b96070bdceb5d9615b523a26376639a.jpegHello there!  Here is my labor of love!!  This is my 1st (ever) planted community tank that I started back in January.  It took quite a long time to plan out my tank, but I am really happy with how it turned out.

75 gallons
Filtration:  Fluvial 407 canister w/ a large coop sponge filter.
Substrate:  Bottom layer of eco complete, middle layer fluvial stratum, top layer eco complete.
Plants:  Drift wood, Jungle Val, Java Fern, Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green, Anubias petite (not loving the java fern think I want to replace all of them w/ Cryptocoryne Wendtii of some color.
Livestock:  5 nerite snails, 10 amano shrimp, 6 otocinclus, 1 Bala Shark who may or may not get rehomed, 15 ember tetras just as soon as their quarantine is over, and 6 Molly fry growing out that will be moved into my sons tank.

I have had SO many thoughts about the stock of this tank and I am sort of at a blank of what I want to add next.  I have been doing a lot of reading on Rams but maybe I am mistaken, it seems that I can not keep them in a planted tank as they need such warm water?  And also, are they even that great for community tanks.  Any thoughts??

I've considered Angels, heavy in orange color...What kind of fish do you think would look really cool in my tank?  

Edited by Janelle
  • Like 1

Rams do require higher temperatures and are a bit tricky to handle. If you are interested in dwarf cichlids you may want to look into apistogramma or kribensis. They are both really cool fish with a lot of colour and they are a bit easier for beginners. 

I would suggest a school of barbs or rainbows. They are a bigger schooling fish which may fit well in the tank.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I started a 75 back in April and have been very slowly stocking it. 
I’m considering  Rams or Angels but both those species will limit what else I can add to the tank, so I’m not sure that’s the way to go. At this point I can try almost any peaceful community fish without worrying about anyone getting eaten. I’m not ruling out Rams and Angels but I’m cautious. 
Right now I’m interested in possibly adding one or more of the following species: Crystal Tetras, Red Neon Rainbowfish, Garrdneri Killifish and Red Phantom Tetras. I’m also going to add to my diminished fleet of Panda Corydoras. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

@Jungle Fan Yes!  I love all those little fish too!  When I went to order my big group of Rummy Nose Aqua Huna was out of stock. And I only had 2 weeks home from between vacations so I got a small group of ember tetras.   But man I’m excited about the Bolivian Rams!!  I definitely think those are in my future!!

• Like 2

On 7/20/2021 at 11:22 AM, Patrick_G said:

I started a 75 back in April and have been very slowly stocking it. 
I’m considering  Rams or Angels but both those species will limit what else I can add to the tank, so I’m not sure that’s the way to go. At this point I can try almost any peaceful community fish without worrying about anyone getting eaten. I’m not ruling out Rams and Angels but I’m cautious. 
Right now I’m interested in possibly adding one or more of the following species: Crystal Tetras, Red Neon Rainbowfish, Garrdneri Killifish and Red Phantom Tetras. I’m also going to add to my diminished fleet of Panda Corydoras. 

@Patrick_G the Bolivian rams won't limit you in your choice of tank mates. Mine happily eat their sunk pellets with Blue Dream Neocaridina shrimp crawling all around them picking out their "share" while not even giving them a second look.

• Like 1