Scratches in bottom panel of aquarium

BF McUmber

I bought a new glass 40 breeder tank at the petco a little bit ago.  The inside of the bottom glass panel of the tank has some scratches in it (kind of like a smaller tank was shipped inside it).  The scratches are in about a 4 inch square and you can catch your finger nail in the scratches that are in it.  I am leak testing it right now and it is holding water. 

I would probably be more worried if it was on the outside of the tank,  but before I fill it with decor... is a scratch on the inside really anything to be worried about? 

Edit: took your guys advice and the Petco took it back even though I painted its back. 

Edited by bwar

If it were me, I'd call the store, take it back and exchange it.

Is there a tiny tag visible when you look down in from the top along the rim on the bottom somewhere indicating whether or not the glass is tempered? Many aquariums have a tempered glass bottom. It's bad for drilling, but maybe a bit more sturdy.

One thing we've done is use light diffuser plastic squares to disperse weight if you have any heavy hardscape you're worried about. It can be cut down to fit inside any tank size using a sharp pair of wire cutters, or heavy-duty utility scissors.

2086620940_ScreenShot2021-07-19at2_59_46PM.png.2bb5369a8af83d96e4b13833fefba2b0.png

1214204775_ScreenShot2021-07-19at2_58_19PM.png.7ac9ba38938b0ba2f8cd1553a7148dd8.png 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@s1_ It is definitely scratched there are other places where there is just silicon strings like you say. Taking dimensions on it out matches the size of a 10 gallon aquarium. Like there was some grit on its bottom and it was shipped inside the tank.  

I already painted the back of the tank.  Hopefully they will still take it. 

EDIT: They took the tank back so that's good I guess. But no one has them in stock so ill be waiting a bit. 

Edited by bwar