Cool stuff near me

Novabound

I recently moved to Pennsylvania after living my entire life in Florida (32 years). It wasn't until i started fish keeping that i realized what a haven Florida was for the hobby. I've been feeling a little regretful that i didnt take advantage of my time there to really take in the wildlife and vegetation, so I've been trying to find ways to incorporate more nature in my life here in PA.

As it turns out, i live a 9-15 minute drive away from SEVERAL hiking trails AND fish hatcheries. I was able to visit a trail and a Trout hatchery yesterday and i grabbed a few nice pictures that I think some may appreciate here more than my generic social medias. 

20210718_160552_capture_mh1626653198129.jpg

20210718_155655.jpg

20210718_160246.jpg

20210718_173248_mh1626653993003.jpg

20210718_173206_capture_mh1626652968353.jpg

20210718_161144_capture(0)_mh1626652883310.jpg

20210718_173856_capture_mh1626653039331.jpg

20210718_160326.jpg

• Like 6

Man, your lucky. Where I live, the state won’t let us have duckweed since it is an “invasive species” that I have never seen in local ponds, lakes, rivers, or streams. Same with water hyacinth. You can’t publicly visit fish hatcheries either, you have to be on a special group tour. Luckily, If you are fishing for education, you don’t need a license, and I’m pretty sure that counts for fish keeping, as you are “learning” how to keep fish. 

You should really see if you can buy some and attempt to breed them yourself in a stock tank!

Great pic by the way. What camera did you use? Those belong in a tv documentary!

Edited by Guppy Guy
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2021 at 1:37 PM, Guppy Guy said:

Man, your lucky. Where I live, the state won’t let us have duckweed since it is an “invasive species” that I have never seen in local ponds, lakes, rivers, or streams. Same with water hyacinth. You can’t publicly visit fish hatcheries either, you have to be on a special group tour. Luckily, If you are fishing for education, you don’t need a license, and I’m pretty sure that counts for fish keeping, as you are “learning” how to keep fish. 

You should really see if you can buy some and attempt to breed them yourself in a stock tank!

Great pic by the way. What camera did you use?

From what I understand they strictly do fly fishing and catch and release as these hatcheries are meant to inject more trout into the surrounding lakes and streams as they're popular for sport fishing. I don't have tanks big enough to house adult ones haha. Theyre super pretty though so i definitely would if i could.

The pics were all done on my phone which is a Samsung Galaxy S8.

They have trout fishing contests here in West Virginia with the goal being to catch one of those golden trout. Of course catching hatchery trout isn't really a challenge at all as they haven't learned to avoid fisherman. The challenge is they only put so many goldens in a location.