All year around pond fish

Taco Playz

So me and my dad @Jbeezydad were thinking about maybe setting up a pond that goes all year around. We wanted to do some Ricefish. I heard they can go in very cold temps but not alot lower than 50F. In the winter were we live it can get pretty cold. Any suggestions for all year around fish or is there not any all year around fish. Thanks!

• Like 1

I would say get a 50-100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank with a small heater if it gets below 40F for extended periods of time.

Check out aquarium co op’s Latest video on indoor mini ponds. That is what I would do for rice fish. 

Another option is to do goldfish, and bring them inside during the winter.

Not an experienced pond keeper, just knowledge I have heard over the years. A second opinion is probably best.

Edited by Guppy Guy
  • Thanks 1

Not sure about ricefish but goldffish can overwinter in some pretty extreme temps. Mine are in an above ground pond in Idaho and we get below 0f temps here. My pond completely freezes over and they go to the bottom and basically go dormant. I do have a pond surface heater to keep the ice from completely covering the top, so they gas gas exchange.

I'd think an in-ground pond would be better just for insulating and water temp stability. I can't do that on mine because I want to see my cool cast iron claw foot tub 🙂

Edited by Griznatch
spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 7/19/2021 at 9:43 AM, Patrick_G said:

@Griznatch, let’s see some bigger pics of that tub, it looks cool as heck!

I have a lily in there now and it's taking over, but the water lettuce is holding it's own. This was in the spring

20200521_125022.jpg.adf1a81453406a6b265fcf2dd31971ff.jpg

This is current. I had to add some burlap for shade. All the local places here in the valley are completely out of shade cloth. a solid month of over 100 degrees has been brutal...

20210719_100914.jpg.d0a48da6ddb4edd3f8db384a5792a81c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 7/19/2021 at 10:01 AM, Taco Playz said:

If we got a heater what would you suggest?

This is what I use.

897773741_pondheater.PNG.1ca9008e53bdfbfbe712c025999ae4b1.PNG

Floats on top and keeps it from freezing completely over. You can get it on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/FLOATING-POND-ICER-WATT-HEATER-POND/dp/B00JI0O6YY/ref=sr_1_58?dchild=1&keywords=pond+heater&qid=1626711413&sr=8-58

This is really more for stock ponds or something with a good amount of surface area.

Keep in mind, the size of your heater and how long it has to stay on could  really increase your electric bill...

Edited by Griznatch
add more

I have seven goldfish 6-9” in the 100 gal. I’m not having trouble with water quality but I’d like them to have more room so the plan is to double or triple the size of the pond by this time next year. At my local koi place these goldfish run from $5-30 depending on size and type. 

Edited by Patrick_G

On 7/19/2021 at 11:28 AM, Taco Playz said:

The one @Jbeezydadfound was 125 gallons I think. So if I were to do ricefish or goldfish how much could I put in there.

I've heard ricefish reproduce well, so even if you started with about 6, you'd likely have more soon. 

Keep in mind that whatever species you choose will need to be a species you'll have space for their whole life. I don't know whether 125 gallons is big enough for a gold fish - I at least know it's not big enough for more than about 3... unless you're committed to doing water changes every 5 minutes. 😂 

Depending on where you live, also consider how high of a temp the species can handle. 

I wouldn't think a reptile heater would work, too great a risk of electrical shock/short.. You'd need something made for heating water that can withstand freezing temps, if that's what you have in your area.

If anyone here uses something besides a stock tank heater update on here with what you use.

I have 2 feeder goldfish in my pond. they were an inch long when I got them and are now maybe 8 inches long? I wouldn't put anymore in there. With my plant pots in there and the filter/pump, I'd say I'm down to about 80 or so gallons of swimming room.
You could have a boatload of ricefish in something  like your 125m maybe only 3 or 4 goldfish, remember they get huge.

Disclaimer, I am by no means a pond expert and this one I have only had for a few years.

Edited by Griznatch
add more
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 9:49 AM, CalmedByFish said:

Take @Patrick_G's advice about goldfish over mine. We were typing at the same time, and I'm not the one with experience.

And frankly my experience is anecdotal to my personal setup so your personal results may be different and I’m strongly leaning towards a 300 gallon upgrade.

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

• Administrators
On 7/19/2021 at 9:17 AM, FriendlyLoach said:

Oh, and apparently Cory said in one of livestreams that u can do firemouth cichlids at freezinging temps. IDK, @Corydo you have any more info on that?

I don't have first hand experience. Only that a woman locally in our club had this happen last year where the firemouth cichlids overwinter with ice on top of the pond.

On 7/19/2021 at 11:51 AM, Griznatch said:

I wouldn't think a reptile heater would work, too great a risk of electrical shock/short.. You'd need something made for heating water that can withstand freezing temps, if that's what you have in your area.

Also consider whether the electricity might go out in your area during winter - like the Texas Freeze. I wonder if solar-powered heaters exist. 

I put rice fish in my pond last July (at Cory's suggestion) and even though there was ice on the pond in the winter, the rice fish survived nicely and are doing great. I live in zone 7B in central North Carolina.

1915961615_RiceFish.jpg.c8dd710498bc8417

• Like 3

On 7/19/2021 at 1:46 PM, Taco Playz said:

@DanielDid it have a heater?

No heater but it averages about 3ft deep. Over the course of the last year the temperatures have ranged from as low as 32°F at the surface to 95°F at the surface. I didn't take any temperature measurements in the deep parts of the pool.