Hard water

Jcdli

Hi everyone this test is from my sink and I see I have no chlorine and my water seems hard, any ideas on what fish are appropriate with hard water or what’s the deference between hard water and soft water thank you 

AC7C2815-2A6D-498F-931E-2AD83B67BA3F.jpeg

E6A5387B-88DA-4FA4-AE1C-9726F40E463E.jpeg

On 7/18/2021 at 11:59 PM, Jcdli said:

Hi everyone this test is from my sink and I see I have no chlorine and my water seems hard, any ideas on what fish are appropriate with hard water or what’s the deference between hard water and soft water thank you 

You also have some nitrate there so I'd check for ammonia too just to be safe.

I've heard live bearers do really well: guppies, mollies, and platties.  Since it reads at the end of the chart I'd take your water to the fish store or buy the API kit and get an idea for how hard.  You could be anywhere from hard, but okay for a lot of fish, to liquid-rock-better-make-a-brackish-tank. 

Certain fish require harder or softer water for breeding purposes. But as far as what fish you can keep you can always adjust your water. it just depends how much work do you want to do. African cichlids do well in hard water at least from my experience I keep everything from mbuna cichlids  Africans  to South American cichlids like oscars and jaguars and such most fish can go through a process called Gil osmosis. And that’s them adjusting to the water you got to slowly add the harder water to their current water that they’re used to being in for  example my ph is anywhere from 7.8-8.6 

On 7/19/2021 at 12:07 AM, CT_ said:

You also have some nitrate there so I'd check for ammonia too just to be safe.

I've heard live bearers do really well: guppies, mollies, and platties.  Since it reads at the end of the chart I'd take your water to the fish store or buy the API kit and get an idea for how hard.  You could be anywhere from hard, but okay for a lot of fish, to liquid-rock-better-make-a-brackish-tank. 

Tomorrow I’ll check for amonia i forgot to do that and you mean I can make brackish tank with this kind of water ?

On 7/19/2021 at 12:10 AM, Casual aquatics said:

Certain fish require harder or softer water for breeding purposes. But as far as what fish you can keep you can always adjust your water. it just depends how much work do you want to do. African cichlids do well in hard water at least from my experience I keep everything from mbuna cichlids  Africans  to South American cichlids like oscars and jaguars and such most fish can go through a process called Gil osmosis. And that’s them adjusting to the water you got to slowly add the harder water to their current water that they’re used to being in for  example my ph is anywhere from 7.8-8.6 

Oh I see thank you and yeah I have a yellow lab Cichild which is my favorite and another cichild as well and clown loaches, hillstring loaches, some guppies, some colie loach and some pomp pomp shirmp and some corys fish, 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 12:32 AM, Jcdli said:

Tomorrow I’ll check for amonia i forgot to do that and you mean I can make brackish tank with this kind of water ?

That was mostly a joke but you could for sure add some more salts and get brackish more easily than you could take the salts out.

My water is liquid rock.  Although drinking water is supposed to not be over 10 nitrates mine sometimes comes with 15-20…huge local issue due to farming. What has thrived most and easiest for me are livebearers plecos snails neocaridina shrimp only if i get them locally or from breeders that have super hard water. (Other neo barely make it a week). 
livebearers adore hard high ph. Ie..guppies endlers etc.  once you get guppies through the med trio they thrive in this condition.

Yeah my tank has been running on for 6 months, but it’s the first time I check my water from the sink so I was wondering how it affects when I do my water changes and the fish I can house  ñ, that’s the tank at the Moment 

image.jpg

On 7/19/2021 at 1:51 PM, Guppysnail said:

Use prime or ammonia binding conditioner your BB will take care of it before it affects fish

Yeah I’m using prime at the moment a member of the forum recomend it, when I had a spike and that works wonders but stinks jajajajjaa 

• Haha 1