Plants contaminated?

I have green neon tetra that are sick. They have white parasite visible, fuzzy part, etc.

I have treated them with maracyn, ich-x, melafix, paracleanse, salt, levamisole… nothing work.

I removed my plants in the aquarium to try salt again. But I am wondering if my plants are contaminated or dangerous? Should I let them soak in a container for a bit before I use them in my other tanks or just throw them away for better safety? Same for my chola wood?

On 7/18/2021 at 7:29 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Take a good picture of the fish and post that with your water parameters.

Here is the thread I created about my green neon tetra sickness.

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/13662-green-neon-tetra-sick-still/?tab=comments#comment-108756

After the 2nd Maracyn\ick-x treatment, I was still waiting on my kanaplexe to arrive so I went with levamisole and salt. Still no improvement but the fish are active, swimming, etc. And still only the 4 same fish sick, the 6 others are doing fine despite being in the same tank.

But yeah - I removed the plants because of the salt but don’t know if they are contaminated. 
***To be clear I don’t think the plants caused the disease. I removed them because I added salt in the aquarium. Now I just want to know if I can reuse the plant elsewhere or take no chance and throw them away.***

Edited by Karen B.

Karen B.

Raise your water temp to between 81 and 83 degrees, but no more than 85 degrees, and keep it there. This temp range will not harm most of our tropical fish because most of our tropical fish come from waters that are in this range. Of course this temp range would not be good for goldfish.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 10:18 AM, MDoc said:

I don't think plants really transmit fish diseases. I would look at other factors which people have mentioned.

I don’t think the plants caused the disease. I removed them because I added salt in the aquarium. Now I just want to know if I can reuse the plant elsewhere or take no chance and throw them away.

On 7/19/2021 at 9:24 AM, Karen B. said:

I don’t think the plants caused the disease. I removed them because I added salt in the aquarium. Now I just want to know if I can reuse the plant elsewhere or take no chance and throw them away.

I would rinse the plants well, as vigorously as they will tolerate, but they should otherwise be safe enough.

Edit to say:  If you wanted to put them into a quarantine tank or tub for a couple weeks, that would be even safer since any organism that did adhere to the biofilm on the plants should die in that time.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1