Roasted Garlic Jelly

Trish

IMG_3606.JPG.2c2ca6593027d21939c9c380440ce31a.JPG

This stuff is delicious!  Deadly on toast!   Same ingredients as in the bottle.  :classic_rolleyes:

The recipe calls for white balsamic vinegar because it will create a light cover jelly. If you are unable to find it make it with the dark balsamic, but the jelly will be darker and have a more robust flavour. Remember when making jellies to not squeeze the jelly bag to speed juice collection, doing so may produce a cloudy jelly.  This is from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.

Roasted Garlic Jelly

READY IN: 2hrs

YIELD: 4 ounce jars

UNITS: US

INGREDIENTS

DIRECTIONS

• Cut off tops of garlic heads and place each head on a small square of foil set on a baking sheet. Top each head with 1 tsp oil and 1 tsp balsamic. Scrunch foil loosely around garlic heads and roast in a preheated oven until garlic is golden and very soft 45-60 minutes on 400. Let stand until cool. Separate cloves pinching each one to extract garlic. Discard the skins.
  • In a medium saucepan, combine garlic, wine, water, white balsamic vinegar, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes. Cover, remove from heat and let steep for 15 minutes.
  • Transfer garlic mixture to a dampened jelly bag or a strainer lined with layers of damp cheesecloth. Let drip 30 minutes. Measure 1 2/3 c of garlic juice. If you don't have the required amount add up to 1/4 c dry white wine or water.
  • Meanwhile, prepare canner, jars and lids.
  • Transfer garlic juice to a large deep saucepan. Stir in lemon juice and sugar. Over high heat, stirring constantly, bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Stir in pectin. Boil hard, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and quickly skim off foam.
  • Quickly pour hot jelly into hot jars leave 1/4 in head space. Wipe rims and put lids and rings on.
  • Place in canner, bring to boil and process 10 minutes.
  • Like 3
  • Love 4

On 7/18/2021 at 8:31 AM, sudofish said:

Was thinking this was going to be about an alternative to seachem garlicguard lol. That does look good though.

@sudofishyou hear about Garlicguard being so atrocious smelling... it's never bothered me! 

On 7/18/2021 at 8:41 AM, Patrick_G said:

I’ll have to try this. We can get huge bags of fresh peeled garlic at Costco and I’m always wondering what to do with all of it. You can only make so much pesto! 

On 7/18/2021 at 10:34 AM, Trish said:

@sudofishyou hear about Garlicguard being so atrocious smelling... it's never bothered me! 

@Patrick_G some pickle the cloves.  I once peeled 50 lbs of silver skin onions... days and days, I was even dreaming of them ha!  Big is not always better!

• Haha 1