Using ich-x instead of meth blue?

Ben P.

Just throwing this out there to hear everyone's thoughts.  Instead of using meth blue on rainbow eggs I have been using ich-x with success.  I was wondering if I'm just getting lucky or if it is a viable replacement? I know the active ingredient is malachite green but its effects are supposed to be similar.  What are your thoughts?

• Like 3

I think you’re right, the Ich-X formulation of Malachite (Victoria) Green is designed to be gentle on fish, much like Methylene Blue is already, and both will protect against Fungus.

I also find success with other more natural options:

1 ml over-the-counter 3% H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) dosed every 12-hrs for 3x total dosing in a 1/2 gal. specimen container

or…

Small portions of Catappa leaf plus several dried Alder cones to release Tannins which fight off fungus

or…

One small neocaridina to eat fungus off eggs, and also eat any infertile eggs. This works, with proven success, for Killifish.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2021 at 2:07 PM, Fish Folk said:

I think you’re right, the Ich-X formulation of Malachite (Victoria) Green is designed to be gentle on fish, much like Methylene Blue is already, and both will protect against Fungus.

I also find success with other more natural options:

1 ml over-the-counter 3% H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) dosed every 12-hrs for 3x total dosing in a 1/2 gal. specimen container

or…

Small portions of Catappa leaf plus several dried Alder cones to release Tannins which fight off fungus

or…

One small neocaridina to eat fungus off eggs, and also eat any infertile eggs. This works, with proven success, for Killifish.

I had never considered using a neo shrimp.  I've got plenty of them around.  The neo shrimp don't eat any of the viable eggs, only the fungused ones?

Edited by Ben P.
Mis spelling

On 7/17/2021 at 3:23 PM, Ben P. said:

I had never considered using a neo shrimp.  I've got plenty of them around.  The neo shrimp don't eat any of the viable eggs, only the fungused ones?

I’ve never tried with Rainbow eggs. It works with Killis (Fundulopanchax Scheeli). The fertile eggs are hard, and won’t burst between fingers when I pick from the spawning mop. You’ll have to run the experiment on your own… I just use 1 young one per hatching container.

6CE60E68-C530-409C-B27C-8559425DB5FE.jpeg.0cafa742ac4e34c267087eb3c3014cb4.jpeg

484A92E7-23A7-43C0-B9A7-C9542B89E888.jpeg.a0ab52c49b22a35e5244ac2feca0eea0.jpeg

6F5AF1AD-C02F-4836-B9C4-E276C309A860.jpeg.b4198d2538da80ab26018230f993f3de.jpeg