Guppy Line Restart

Fish Folk

I’ve had very poor success with my mini ponds this summer. Long story… but in brief, I _almost_ lost a line of Firecracker Guppies by moving most outside where, sadly, heat overtook them.

But fortunately I kept one female and a few males inside. Just found a little gaggle of tiny fry. Never gets old!

I’ve added some powdered fry food to boost their growth…

C896125A-9300-4941-AAEE-FC7677689955.jpeg.9a0d0e6331d82e60693e055d053eebf8.jpeg

This is one of those old tanks that you just “let go” awhile. One oversized sponge filter, plus a mostly clogged up hang on back. Tons of Cherry Shrimp. Grumpy plants. Substrate seeded with live black worms. Shells and crushed coral to up hardness. Algae. Duckweed. You have to be a certain type of aquarist to get excited… 😂

Oh, but I am! 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Woohoo baby guppies!

LOL, I've cut back my guppy population to a few females and a favorite male a few times in the last couple years. I still end up with hundreds. Don't think I could have tanks without guppies in at least one of them.. ok who am I kidding, most of my tanks 🙂

• Haha 1
  • Love 2

On 8/3/2021 at 12:35 PM, PineSong said:

Fry are so cute, I can't wait until I have some. That tank looks an awful lot like nature, I bet the fish are happy as the proverbial clam. I was hoping to put fish outside next year... how hot was too hot for your guppies?

Mine are under a kind of gazebo type thing I built next to my goldfish pond. The are partially shaded most of the day, but the temps outside have been in the high  90s to well over 100 for over a month so far. All kinds of baby guppies in there and so far all the adults are doing well too. I was shocked to see at least 2 adult red cherry shrimp in there yesterday. They must have snuck in on some plants, or my sponge filter as fry...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2021 at 3:33 PM, Griznatch said:

Mine are under a kind of gazebo type thing I built next to my goldfish pond. The are partially shaded most of the day, but the temps outside have been in the high  90s to well over 100 for over a month so far. All kinds of baby guppies in there and so far all the adults are doing well too. I was shocked to see at least 2 adult red cherry shrimp in there yesterday. They must have snuck in on some plants, or my sponge filter as fry...

I've got plans to build a lattice shade cover to help block some of the direct sunlight. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 1:58 PM, Fish Folk said:

I've got plans to build a lattice shade cover to help block some of the direct sunlight. 

that's basically what I have. Just a frame with lattice wrapped around it. Have some vines growing climbing the lattice big and plants inside helping with the shade.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 3:11 PM, Fish Folk said:

Ours did not do well with temps consistently in the mid 90s, no shade.

Thanks, I've been trying to figure out where I could put tubs--so many possible wrong options between possible raccoons, sun, deciduous trees, sloped ground and maybe needing electricity. It's a lot to juggle. 

• Like 1