Purigen made water super cloudy! Is this normal?

erik.hueno

I just used Purigen for the first time. I rinsed it quickly (perhaps my main mistake) then put it in a compartment in my filter. The water has become quite cloudy after 5-10 minutes. I took it out to soak overnight in a small cup full of tank water to hopefully lose all its cloudiness.

Will the cloudiness go away and when should I add the Purigen back in? Will the Purigen actually end up helping the cloudiness go away once it stops emitting the cloudiness?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks 🙂

Erik

On 7/16/2021 at 9:28 PM, Guppysnail said:

I used it once…I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed forever until the water was super clear.  It was in my tank 1 hour…it took me two weeks to get the gritty cloudy gunk back out completely 

Got it. Since I’m assuming I shouldn’t rinse with tap water and only have a finite amount of tank water, how should I continue to rinse it? It almost seems like small particles are coming out of the mesh bag it came in too.

On 7/16/2021 at 10:31 PM, erik.hueno said:

Got it. Since I’m assuming I shouldn’t rinse with tap water and only have a finite amount of tank water, how should I continue to rinse it? It almost seems like small particles are coming out of the mesh bag it came in too.

Yup that’s what mine did. I rinsed the heck out of it in tap water with prime/water conditioner to make it safe so I had unlimited water. 

On 7/16/2021 at 9:33 PM, Guppysnail said:

Yup that’s what mine did. I rinsed the heck out of it in tap water with prime/water conditioner to make it safe so I had unlimited water. 

Cool thanks for the info!! Just to clarify, yours also leaked small particles?

On 7/16/2021 at 10:34 PM, erik.hueno said:

Cool thanks for the info!! Just to clarify, yours also leaked small particles?

Ps I didn’t think the grit would be safe for fish gills and could irritate them that’s why I removed it and did an immediate massive water change. Whether it would have harmed them I don’t know but I take zero chances

• Like 1

I think there may be several different versions of the Purigen bags out in the world - I have used Purigen in both my tanks in the past and I really like it!

One of the tanks looked like a snow globe (those tiny white particles are definitely a thing!) for a few days. The particles did clear up on their own.  I was worried about the particles harming my fish, too...but my understanding is that they are not harmful.

I will mention that the Purigen I got from Amazon did release a snow flurry of white particles in my tank, but the Purigen from ACO did not.  

Also...I just used to forum search function to look up Purigen because I thought that I had made a post and someone comforted me about it, but I couldn't find it (so, I might have dreamed it)!  There are TONS of different experiences with Purigen posted on the forum, as well as recharging experiences (which I never tried).

I hope you end up having a good experience!! 😆👍

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 7:10 AM, Betsy said:

I will mention that the Purigen I got from Amazon did release a snow flurry of white particles in my tank, but the Purigen from ACO did not.  

This is interesting...I had bought "pre bagged" Purgien from a retail big box store about 9 months ago and dropped it into  filter is a quick wash with no problems.  I then bought the same thing from Amazon about 3 months ago and I also encountered "a blizzard" of little particles after the same "quick wash" procedure.

• Like 2