Light suggestion for Waterbox Clear Mini 30

I am in the process of setting up a 30g Waterbox with CO2 and cannot decide on which lighting system I would like to go with. I would prefer to stick with Fluval due to already having 3 others and I would like to use one app to control all of my lights. I

Dimensions of tank are 24"x18"x18"

Aesthetically, I would really like to do 2 of the Fluval Nano lights but am worried about coverage/depth with carpet plants. The other option would be the 24" Plant 3.0.

Am I going to see any major differences or reasons why the 2 Nanos is a bad idea? 

Assuming you live in the US you can buy the 24 inch for cheaper then two nanos, this would be if you purchased off aquarium co-op.

Personally I would go with one 24 inch as controlling one light seems like it would be easier and less complex then controlling two nanos. 

One 24 inch will cost roughly $160 USD from aquarium coop. Where as two nanos would cost $180 from aquarium co-op.

That extra $20 could get you the fish food you always wanted to try, more easy green, or even a few new plants for your new waterbox. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 8:24 PM, Streetwise said:

The Fluval Nanos can give you height, and the 24” is nice too. I used many configurations, especially before the 15” unit appeared. If you skim my indoor journal, you will see the various configurations that I tried.

Am I sacrificing anything with the Nanos on a tank that's 18" deep? I'm not super concerned with the cost as much as I am the looks lol I really like the idea of having the 2 of them but would be willing to get the 24" strip if performance/growth/coverage is superior. 

I think the individual LEDs are the same, but you get a different number in each size. At one point, I had 3-4 Nanos on the glass of a sixteen bow, but running at perhaps 20-30%. This was overkill, and one 15” does the job.

However, on larger rimless tanks, multiple Nanos might be a fun option. They have aluminum construction, and the height control is cool.

I ran 2-3 on my Askoll 20 for a while, also before the 15” unit showed up, which is what I use now.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 8:48 PM, Streetwise said:

I think the individual LEDs are the same, but you get a different number in each size. At one point, I had 3-4 Nanos on the glass of a sixteen bow, but running at perhaps 20-30%. This was overkill, and one 15” does the job.

However, on larger rimless tanks, multiple Nanos might be a fun option.

I ran 2-3 on my Askoll 20 for a while, also before the 15” unit showed up, which is what I use now.

For sure. I've just gotta pull the trigger on something lol!

The goal was to make the tank as minimalist looking as possible. I am running an inline diffuser for CO2 on the Oase filter with built-in heater. As of now, the only thing "in the tank" will be the lily pipes. 

Just cant decide if 2 Nanos or the strip will look better haha

Thanks for the input!

IMG_4920.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 11/18/2021 at 6:45 PM, WillC said:

@iRollDetroit How are you liking the ownership experience of a waterbox minimal tank vs your flex?

Will

Hey Will! 

So far so good! I do like the clean look of the minimalist WB 30g. It’s hard to say which I prefer. There is some obvious convenience with the AIO  

I think if I could go back, I would do the Waterbox 20g AIO over the Flex. I’ve found stocking the Flex 15 to be a little strange just because of footprint. It’s just as tall as wide so most fish that “could” work in a standard 15g, I have been hesitant to try. Right not the Flex is heavily planted with pea puffers. The WB Cube 20 is a few inches wider and deeper so I feel like it opens up a few more options.  

Here is a photo of the current 30g “minimalist” tank. Ignore the army of snails, they are Fig 8 puffer food 🙂

5E4BE789-3E01-4C96-BF97-E118679F0CDB.jpeg

• Thanks 1

@iRollDetroit Thanks for the feedback. I am in the process of planning out a 40g breeder. The thought ran across my mind to just do 2 Waterbox Mini Clear 20s on the stand instead of one 40g aqueon. Smaller tanks would be easier for water changes etc... and I am really digging the look of rimless tanks lately.

Will

On 11/19/2021 at 4:28 PM, WillC said:

@iRollDetroit Thanks for the feedback. I am in the process of planning out a 40g breeder. The thought ran across my mind to just do 2 Waterbox Mini Clear 20s on the stand instead of one 40g aqueon. Smaller tanks would be easier for water changes etc... and I am really digging the look of rimless tanks lately.

Will

There’s pros and cons for sure. A 40g opens up some options that a 20g doesn’t have. Figure out what you want to stock first, then go from there!

I think it would be really cool to have 2 identical tanks next to each other with opposite color schemes, one with white sand and dragon stone or seiryu rock and the other with dark substrate and driftwood.