Shipping Help? Suggestions?

Fish Folk

I’ve been slowly working the problem of shipping live fish. We live inland US, far from any major distribution hub.

I’ve figured out how to use UPS Ground, but the trucks and layovers are not air conditioned. It’s fast, but risky in high heat.

I can use USPS Priority Mail, but the arrival times are not predictable.

FedEX is not clear yet... we don’t have a shipping store here.

What do y’all do??

I don’t sell or ship but I have received in heat. They came in this with ice packs….heat packs in winter. Inside a layer of packs the breather bag was surrounded by cut styrofoam to keep to much heat or cold from transferring into the bag but to keep to much from getting in either. It is styrofoam.  So this then ice/heat packs all around then styrofoam then breather bags. I hope that helps. Shrimp and plecos were what came both safe and healthy 

I kept it because it’s very useful when I transport mine. 

1D51F983-2D79-45D3-8D26-86548E8E86CD.jpeg

E32439B0-9517-4098-9271-753DDA6B2043.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2021 at 6:27 PM, Guppysnail said:

I don’t sell or ship but I have received in heat. They came in this with ice packs….heat packs in winter. Inside a layer of packs the breather bag was surrounded by cut styrofoam to keep to much heat or cold from transferring into the bag but to keep to much from getting in either. It is styrofoam.  So this then ice/heat packs all around then styrofoam then breather bags. I hope that helps. Shrimp and plecos were what came both safe and healthy 

I kept it because it’s very useful when I transport mine. 

1D51F983-2D79-45D3-8D26-86548E8E86CD.jpeg

E32439B0-9517-4098-9271-753DDA6B2043.jpeg

That’s a great tip! I’ve also received in styros like this, but the addition of cold / heat packs outside additional layer of styrofoam is a new concept. How many cold packs? How large? Trying to visualize...

On 7/16/2021 at 3:45 PM, Fish Folk said:

I’ve been slowly working the problem of shipping live fish. We live inland US, far from any major distribution hub.

I’ve figured out how to use UPS Ground, but the trucks and layovers are not air conditioned. It’s fast, but risky in high heat.

I can use USPS Priority Mail, but the arrival times are not predictable.

FedEX is not clear yet... we don’t have a shipping store here.

What do y’all do??

For me up here Ive come to the realization airport to airport using southwest aircargo or similar is probably the best bet but thats a 4 hour driving day to get to denver and back. Limits the box to a few hours up to maybe 14 hours in transit and im pretty sure both ends are conditioned air as well. 

My preference currently is

1.Personal delivery

2. Airport airport

3. Ups

4. usps 

Shipping wise Ive done the 12x12x10 double wall boxes with 1" coolers through ups overnight with no issues. 

Ive sent 2 of those preperations at the exact same time through usps express where im certain the denver hub decided they needed to teaxh me a lesson by delivering one a day late and letting the 2nd cook for 7 days. 

I dont know if it helps but i use the traditional bags to limit temperature swings 2 or 4 mm bags that i square the corners on then double bag in an attempt to try and insulate from external then an outer bag and finally foam liner. We are at least 20 degrees cooler up here all the time so i figure insulation is my key no matter what box or shipper i use. 

20210610_102707.jpg

IMG_6521.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2021 at 7:08 PM, Fish Folk said:

That’s a great tip! I’ve also received in styros like this, but the addition of cold / heat packs outside additional layer of styrofoam is a new concept. How many cold packs? How large? Trying to visualize...

Med size did not cover entire wall but was not small either 4-1each side taped to container. One used shredded newspaper fluff packing stuff to fill space between two layers of styrofoam around the packs the other used these HORRIBLE real small styrofoam peanuts I swear I will pick up in my house til I’m dead. 

• Like 1