Hello from New Jersey!

Brian Scott

Hey Fish Friends,

Name is Brian Scott.  I've been in the aquarium industry for many years, and have been very fortunate to work in "the industry" in several different capacities.  Most notably as the aquatics editor for TFH Publications from circa 2003 - 2006, where I was afforded the chance to do a lot of writing on various aspects of the aquarium hobby.  Additionally, I was often writing articles for Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine as well as Cichlid News Magazine.  

I prefer online forums over social media, where topics just keep getting pushed further down the list.  Forums allow people to more effectively search and follow on-going projects and topics---especially those that may not get updated on a regular basis.

At any rate, happy to be here and hope I can help out from time to time......and looking forward to always learning more myself.

Cheers from NJ,

--Brian

IMG_6632 (2).JPG

IMG_6525 (2).JPG

IMG_6681(2).JPG

Edited by Brian Scott
  • Like 4

Welcome aboard! Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. There are lots of questions!

Those are lovely pictures of beautiful fish.

Always happy to have another cichlid lover in the Forum. As E. W Clark, Jr. said in the November 1936 issue of the 'The Aquarium Magazine'.

"God gave too many brains to the cichlids and didn't have enough left over to go around". 😇

Oscars.PNG.62ac05063e4d536070e1cf0cdd51f

• Like 2

Hey Daniel,

That's a great old clipping from a legendary fish rag!  Thanks for sharing, and thanks for your warm welcome and nice words!  I'm happy to help where / when I can, and look forward to learning a lot here, too.  Always things to learn and re-learn in this hobby of course. 

Cheers!!

--Brian

Hey Paul and Bill,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Paul, those books are incredible!  What's the copyright date on them?

Bill, I'm in Ocean County.  Lacey Pet, Pet Agree, and Major League Pets are the ones I frequent the most supplies and to sell fish to.  As far as bigger selections, I also find myself going north to Ely's or The Fish Hut.  I think Absolutely Fish is also great.  There's also 88 Pet World (in Brick) that I always forget about along with a few others along the way.  Do you have any favorites?

On 9/24/2020 at 7:02 AM, Bill said:

@Brian Scott thanks, I'll definitely have to check out the first few you mention, I've not been there. Absolutely Fish and the Fish hut are up on my list, but I've not been to Ely's yet, will check it out. I also love Discus Madness in Union.

I need to check out Discus Madness.....always forgetting about them!

Also, if you ever head south you should check out Ocean Aquarium in Pleasantville and The Aquarium Center in Blackwood. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 10:23 PM, Brian Scott said:

Hey Daniel,

That's a great old clipping from a legendary fish rag!  Thanks for sharing, and thanks for your warm welcome and nice words!  I'm happy to help where / when I can, and look forward to learning a lot here, too.  Always things to learn and re-learn in this hobby of course. 

Cheers!!

--Brian

Daniel is one of the resident hobby historians here.

• Like 1