Quarantining plants

Heather H

I honestly don't do anything when I buy plants from my LFS. If I see some duckweed on the plant I'll rinse it off.

QTing Plants is not as mandatory as fish. I would reccemend to just plant them right away in your display tank. If you really want to make sure there is nothing harmful on the plants I would do the dip that @Mmiller2001 suggested. 

I don't dip/ quarintine my plants and I've never experianced any bad side effects from doing so.

I didn’t use to qt plants because I raise snails…until I had damsel fry larvae hatch in my shrimp and bladder snail tank. These are highly predatory main diet snails and shrimp.  Damselflies slice the leaf or stem and lay eggs inside unaffected by hydrogen peroxide etc……if you have no small fry shrimp or snails this would not matter.  I found out many things lay inside a plant like this researching these damselfly. (They can also live 3 years submerged) 😲

I think in terms of catching fish disease from plants it's pretty low.  Cory said in a stream thats never been a problem for him.  But I think it has more to do with what other things you can accept.

• Like 1