Amano shrimp

Hi all I bought two amano shrimp yesterday from my local store they looked smaller in shop but on arrival home there look huge I’ve got a 50 gallon with small fish like tetras cherry barbs ottos and a pair of rams will my fish be safe I’ve read stories of these attacking fish is this true help please 

On 7/16/2021 at 1:17 AM, Cork fish keeper said:

Hi all I bought two amano shrimp yesterday from my local store they looked smaller in shop but on arrival home there look huge I’ve got a 50 gallon with small fish like tetras cherry barbs ottos and a pair of rams will my fish be safe I’ve read stories of these attacking fish is this true help please 

I have never noticed any problems with mine bothering fish, keeping the same fish as you and mine are full size.  They keep to themselves mostly, but are now coming out to enjoy a zucchini slice.  

Amano on Zuchinni-2.jpg

Edited by Trish
  • Like 1

We have some hornwort floating around a 55g that houses some rcs, yellow, and Amano shrimp. They do travel amongst the stem plants and filter too.

As well as a Mikrogeophagus altispinosus male and a female Apistogramma Cacatuoides. No shrimp death lol, sure it's never 100% that any fish won't do it...but our Ram doesn't care about shrimp and the Cacatuoides rather takes them and Guppy/Endler fry under her wing...or fin lol. Protecting them from our medium school of Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi's...

Never had a problem with Otocinclus and any shrimp, very sensitive those Otocinclus!

But yeah Amano shrimp are very confident lol so we throw maybe an extra piece or 2 of cucumber or veggie treat in that tank...as even the Poecilla will snack on veggies...