Say hello to my little friend(s) does your fish have a story?

Guppysnail

Ok I love Scarface!🤣

I was commenting on someone’s post yesterday about albino Cory nd I remembered how much I used to love mine. My niece and I were already having a girls day at the lfs.  They had panda corys. Our first date hubby and I were at The mall and I tried on a panda head costume. Since I have always been his panda. He even got dash solar wiggling pandas for both our cars. 
so of course I had to have these cuties. I picked up 6. Could only get pics of 5 they are soooo fast and lively and active. I’m in love already.  Sorry for the fog it’s a qt tub. Yup I lose tons of plants because I always stuff my qt with them to make my new little friends feel safe and keep the water good through med trio. 

does your fish have a unique story? Please share. 

8EDE952F-B81E-4153-8880-8038C74E3EBA.jpeg

97D5258B-A140-497E-9358-07D75B854583.jpeg

• Like 3

The story is on my profile in a nutshell but in my life I absolutely KNOW some animals have picked ME. Since we're speaking of fish I'll stay on that channel (cause I have lots of these stories). My current female betta TOTALLY picked me. I decided to turn a QT tank into a shrimp tank(as you do), that epically failed- so Betta tank. I had my heart broken with the last 2 Bettas I had the one in my profile pic, Kimono was my favorite Betta I've had, he was super beautiful and so chill- unfortunately he came down with dropsy and well.... So I online ordered a giant galaxy koi female shipped to me who failed to thrive so.... 😞 (this is not typical for me I've had several Bettas, but at this point I thought that was it, no more Bettas- but you know how THAT goes...)

I thought, ok, I'll go to the big box store and at least "rescue" a Betta. It was a Monday, I picked the store that I know has a very big display of them, went right to it. NOT ONE Betta was on the display, just the random "Betta Buddies" (various plants and anubias attached to rocks). I thought it was odd but it was Monday and the big box store has frequent sales- plus maybe they didn't get a shipment. Already making plans to drive to the next big box to check I saw the "GloFish" brand Bettas on the display next to the giant regular display. 

I've heard murmurs about glow fish and people have their opinions about them so lets not get into the debate here however lets be fair and call them "controversial" in the pet trade. I never bothered to form an opinion myself, but never thought I'd be interested in a glowing fish- I like regular fish just fine and thought it was a silly concept. (just for the record these particular fish are the 'born beautiful" -company motto- meaning they're born with color not injected) 

Anyhow I thought, meh, sure I'll just "LOOK" how many of us have said that huh?

God they looked SO very sad. I mean don't they usually in these stores? - but this was worse- never seen them look so bad. There was about a dozen. It was as if these particular Bettas were suffering from the fact that everyone over 5yo just passed them by and as if they had been in the store for weeks and not cared for or fed- certainly hope this is NOT true. Most of the males looked as if they were on the brink of death. I was looking for a girl as I said and I saw a bit of red and saw "female" sticker on the side. I gingerly picked up the container- and there she was. She came right up to the front and danced, not in the typical puffy Betta sort of way, but as in a "Hi! Please take me home with you!" Her strange glow-green eyes I could tell were looking right at my face. I've never had that happen with a Betta fish- an instant connection- usually I stand in the aisle with 3 attentive contenders and narrow it down. There was a spark between us I can't explain. So in my hand she stayed while I picked out a few more plants and a piece of wood. 

Went up to the front to pay, the clerk having asked the usual questions about finding everything, I said yes including a new friend though I hadn't planned on a GloBetta, she said oh (in a negative way), the regular Bettas were just taken off the shelf for cleaning and pointed behind her, and made it rather clear for a box store clerk her opinion was negative and that it'd be ok to put this GloFish back and pick a regular Betta. I told her that I was already attached to this one and am going home with her. 

While I walked out to my car to head home her name came to me instantly- nothing was more fitting for this bright highlighter yellow fish with glowing green eyes and red fins- nothing was better than what actually did happen between us.

Spark. 

She's been the best Betta fish, no, the BEST FISH, I've ever had so far in all categories and it's not because she's a GloFish, but of who she is- I wouldn't have gotten her if things had played out different- so I'm very glad they didn't. 

Resized_20210715_184004.jpg

20210715_1841401.jpg

Resized_20210715_183850.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos are lame
  • Like 4
  • Love 4

My fish(s) have a story.  A testament to how resilient fish can be.  I've mentioned in other posts that most of my fish are rescues.  A friend had fallen onto hard times both medically and financially.  I don't normally buy the rescues, but agreed to buy the entire 65 gl. setup from him. When I first saw the tank It was nearly impossible to see the fish through the algae with the lights on.  The substrate looked like a landfill.  In the process of breaking down the tank I found plaster broken glass, screws, you name it, in the substrate. The HOB was so clogged that the water was bypassing the filter. I also found two fish that he thought had died. The ph later tested below 6.  When it came time to remove the aquarium, I found that the electrical cords and some of the carpet had melted. I told Johnny that his fish may have just saved his life.  Once home, It took two hours to clean the aquarium and flush foreign objects from the gravel, and another day to get the fish into their new home.  Mortality was zero for the first year, so I guess it was a win for everyone.

I have to keep fish pictures on my phone for when the previous owners ask how their fish are doing. The two black streaks in front of the gourami are angelfish from a later rescue. Once they were taken from their 3 gl. tank the larger one stopped its aggression, and they doubled their size.

Community..jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 4

On 7/16/2021 at 11:34 AM, Tanked said:

My fish(s) have a story.  A testament to how resilient fish can be.  I've mentioned in other posts that most of my fish are rescues.  A friend had fallen onto hard times both medically and financially.  I don't normally buy the rescues, but agreed to buy the entire 65 gl. setup from him. When I first saw the tank It was nearly impossible to see the fish through the algae with the lights on.  The substrate looked like a landfill.  In the process of breaking down the tank I found plaster broken glass, screws, you name it, in the substrate. The HOB was so clogged that the water was bypassing the filter. I also found two fish that he thought had died. The ph later tested below 6.  When it came time to remove the aquarium, I found that the electrical cords and some of the carpet had melted. I told Johnny that his fish may have just saved his life.  Once home, It took two hours to clean the aquarium and flush foreign objects from the gravel, and another day to get the fish into their new home.  Mortality was zero for the first year, so I guess it was a win for everyone.

I have to keep fish pictures on my phone for when the previous owners ask how their fish are doing. The two black streaks in front of the gourami are angelfish from a later rescue. Once they were taken from their 3 gl. tank the larger one stopped its aggression, and they doubled their size.

Community..jpg

Beautiful and happy fish, so glad you were able to give them a wonderful home! (And as an aside, how do you like your gourami? That's a moonlight gourami, right? We are considering one for our 55 gallon)

On 7/16/2021 at 3:19 PM, laritheloud said:

Beautiful and happy fish, so glad you were able to give them a wonderful home! (And as an aside, how do you like your gourami? That's a moonlight gourami, right? We are considering one for our 55 gallon)

Yes, I believe that to be a moonlight gourami.   It is one of the calmest residents except at feeding time when it joins the fray with the others.  It swims at all levels and would be a great addition.

• Love 1