How easy to offload endler females?

Ragnarok12

Hi everyone. I'm considering my first foray into endler breeding, but I'm hesitant to commit to getting some breeding pairs because of that whole "what to do with fry" question. I have several local fish stores in the area and I have not doubt I will be able to sell the males, but I'm concerned about whether they will be interested in taking the females as well? Does anyone have experience with this? I want to avoid having nowhere to offload all of the female fry and being stuck with an exploding population. Will fish stores purchase them at a reduced rate? Or could I sell the males and give away the females at the same time? I have my eye on some breeding pairs on AquaBid but I want a plan in place first. Thanks

• Like 1

Male Endlers are easy to find for anyone looking for them.  No one that is serious about selling Endlers for profit are selling their females, they are hard/impossible to find!  I have no doubt that anyone in your local fish club would be more than happy to take them off your hands.  I have found where I am that females are going for more than males.

Long story short, order them and enjoy!!!

I raise black bar and scarlet endlers.  I trade them to local aquarium stores for store credit.  I bring them to the stores as pairs (male and female).  Since some customers only want the males I have an agreement with the stores to take back any females that don't sell.

• Thanks 1

When I was looking to buy endlers online, I had a hard time finding females. That makes me think your extras would be in demand. 

There's conversation elsewhere on the forum about how to (possibly) cause the females to produce a higher ratio of male fry, which might be of benefit to you. It looks likely to be possible. I'm currently trying it. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's feedback, this is helpful. I went ahead and took the plunge. Here are some photos of the new acquisitions. Definitely a hybrid endler, but man is it a pretty fish. Can't wait for the EXTREMELY pregnant female to start growing the colony. I'll update when it comes time to offload the fry.

20210803_163454.jpg.18ae5583f7b6c23b525f13dca2c68999.jpg20210803_163458.jpg.0ed3ef6c492de79a3d15c9d6e2edbc25.jpg20210803_163438.jpg.7e0f42c53e11a784644732b77a7b5177.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Sweet little blue endler--love that dorsal. I will be interested in how things go for you. I had trouble finding endlers in my area--I looked on eBay and craigslist first because that is how I started with them 15 years ago in another part of the country--no luck this time.

There isn't an aquarium club here, the big box stores don't have them, the good LFS did not have them, and the few that I did find were males only at LFS that is two towns away that was just awful and full of dead fish. 

I'm interested in breeding some to see if there is a local market for them, so I will have to decide which kinds I'd like to try with and buy online. I'd love to follow how yours do!

On 8/9/2021 at 11:30 PM, PineSong said:

Sweet little blue endler--love that dorsal. I will be interested in how things go for you. I had trouble finding endlers in my area--I looked on eBay and craigslist first because that is how I started with them 15 years ago in another part of the country--no luck this time.

There isn't an aquarium club here, the big box stores don't have them, the good LFS did not have them, and the few that I did find were males only at LFS that is two towns away that was just awful and full of dead fish. 

I'm interested in breeding some to see if there is a local market for them, so I will have to decide which kinds I'd like to try with and buy online. I'd love to follow how yours do!

Try AquaBid and order from the reputable sellers. I just had a fantastic experience purchasing endlers off aquabid. Most are sold in trios, some of them with a scoop of fry added in!

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2021 at 10:30 PM, PineSong said:

Yeah, I would agree with @laritheloud, I had an excellent experience purchasing off of aquabid. It was my first purchase and it went very smoothly. I'm not going to drop a link (per forum guidelines), but I got these from Mason Brando off of aquabid (profile name is Brandofish). Very easy and satisfying purchasing experience. He even has more of these endlers that I purchased up for sale right now, if you are interested in the look of these. But yeah, Aquabid is where you should start.

I'll give an update with how the population is going if they do well. I'm on vacation right now, so fingers crossed that they are doing okay when I get back.

• Thanks 1