Jump to content

Background or No Background.


ErinV
 Share

Recommended Posts

I like to have some kind of a background on my tanks, because I can see the cables hanging behind the glass.

I am striving for as natural a tank as possible, so I don't really like the printed backgrounds. I use a black one, as  it gives more depth for the tank and the sponge filter blends in with it. I'm planning on using a bright colored background for a bigger tank with a canister filter, as I think the bright colors look much more peaceful ans will go better with a school of fish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I use black construction paper on the backs of some of my tanks and no background on others. I like the idea of black vinyl, won't discolor if it gets wet. I have in the past painted the back black which I really liked, just never got around to it before I set up my larger tanks. I really like the concept of temporary backgrounds so I can change them out if I change my mind about it later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2021 at 3:43 PM, Griznatch said:

 I use black construction paper on the backs of some of my tanks and no background on others. I like the idea of black vinyl, won't discolor if it gets wet. I have in the past painted the back black which I really liked, just never got around to it before I set up my larger tanks. I really like the concept of temporary backgrounds so I can change them out if I change my mind about it later.

I have a 65g that I will get going in the fall and I will definitely be doing black background before it gets set up. I was so excited about getting the 90 up and running that I did not think about doing the background ahead of time. Lesson learned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One good thing about black backgrounds is that you can hide things - like intake tubes for canister filters or sponge filter tubes - by making them black. I use black Plasti Dip to make those things black to blend in with the black background. I have potted plants, so I also plasti dip the pots black so they blend in better with the black background and black substrate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2021 at 7:28 PM, HH Morant said:

One good thing about black backgrounds is that you can hide things - like intake tubes for canister filters or sponge filter tubes - by making them black. I use black Plasti Dip to make those things black to blend in with the black background. I have potted plants, so I also plasti dip the pots black so they blend in better with the black background and black substrate.

You PlastiDip the pots?  It stays on OK?  Do the pots need to be new or could I use thoroughly cleaned and dried pots?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I made a 3D background for my 90g out of styrofoam, drylok, and acrylic paint. I also think that a painting the back black looks really good, I would probably do that for any other tanks as apposed to putting all the effort into another 3D. I’ve also heard fish prefer having a background to prevent their shadows being cast on the wall behind them which can make them think it’s a bigger fish l, but I’m not sure if that’s true or not

17D18460-5276-4A9B-9916-301C39AEF92E.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 9:26 AM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

I made a 3D background for my 90g out of styrofoam, drylok, and acrylic paint. I also think that a painting the back black looks really good, I would probably do that for any other tanks as apposed to putting all the effort into another 3D. I’ve also heard fish prefer having a background to prevent their shadows being cast on the wall behind them which can make them think it’s a bigger fish l, but I’m not sure if that’s true or not

17D18460-5276-4A9B-9916-301C39AEF92E.jpeg

Interesting look.  Did you use the drylok solely as a sealant, or are the acrylic paints mixed in?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 7:21 AM, HH Morant said:

My pots are mostly made from plastic bottles. The ones pictured are made from the bottom sections of 2-liter coke bottles.. The black plastic dip stays on fine, even though the pots flex a little. I am sure it would also work with ceramic pots.

PXL_20210723_121432096.jpg

PXL_20210723_121441940.jpg

Nice!  I would never have guessed those had a previous life as a bottle!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 11:01 AM, Tanked said:

Interesting look.  Did you use the drylok solely as a sealant, or are the acrylic paints mixed in?

The first layer was just drylok on the styrofoam and then there were about 10 more layers of drylok mixed with the acrylic paint for coloration. It didn’t need that many layers I just kept changing my mind on colors

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2021 at 11:02 AM, ErinV said:

Very intrested to see the split on this one.

Do you use a background and if so what type?

Solid colour, graphic, applied or held on by tape?

I think when I first started with a tank as a kid it was bare back, however in my adult fish keeping I have always had one. That is until my new 90g, possibly. Due to budget, I have always just got the double sided printed, laminated graphic from lfs. You know, the ones where one side is more blue and water looking and one side is rocks and green plants. That is what I have sitting beside the tank now. When I went to install it, hubby said that it made the tank look cheap. I am very torn. On one hand it hides the cords and all the stuff that keeps the tank running. It also gives that full look while plants are settling in and growing. I can however see hubby's side in that with everything else being real and much more natural looking, it looks fake and sorta brings the class level down. Not sure which way to go. Thoughts on my tank, pictures below. Also what is your preference when it comes to your tanks?

 

20210712_194639.jpg

20210713_145923.jpg

Well I’ve not got your experience but I like 3d backgrounds 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 3:01 PM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

The first layer was just drylok on the styrofoam and then there were about 10 more layers of drylok mixed with the acrylic paint for coloration. It didn’t need that many layers I just kept changing my mind on colors

What I assume to be a cave on the left side was a great idea.

I gave up on the 3d backgrounds a while ago.  They took up too much space in the small tanks, and I was never happy with the design..  Fake rocks in the garden were a little easier to experiment with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 11:02 PM, Tanked said:

What I assume to be a cave on the left side was a great idea.

I gave up on the 3d backgrounds a while ago.  They took up too much space in the small tanks, and I was never happy with the design..  Fake rocks in the garden were a little easier to experiment with. 

Their is actually 7 built in caves, and ya now that it’s down there are tons of things I wish I did different, I really don’t think it would be worth it on a small tank unless you had a really specific niche you want it to fill

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...