Background or No Background.

ErinV

If you take a really quick glance at your aquarium and see the background before you see the fish, something is wrong.  For me the keyword is background.  I don't want  to see the equipment behind the tank. I prefer the solid black because the eye tends to ignore it and go straight to the fish and plants.  I have 1 tank with a dark burgundy or oxblood background.  It works equally well and matches the paint on the wall. I have used printed backgrounds, I'm just not a fan.  

• Like 2

Green jungle aquarium background no question! Adds to the overall concept, helps hide the cables, and the fish feel more secure. When I used to do Japanese style aquascapes I did without for a while but after a while I got tired of the Ikebana/Bonsai look and wanted something more natural looking.Tthat isn't saying Japanese nature aquariums aren't beautiful but today many remind me more of landscapes from Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, or Game of Thrones.

P.S.: The background I use came from the Classic Aquarium Collection of Deep Blue Themes. Link provided for those who wanted to know.

https://www.deepbluethemes.com/checkout.html?d=classic&i=aquarium-background-classic-greens

20200713_120556.jpg.33eb9f3827a9a1afa45baa4ca4d907d4.jpgIMG_0417A.jpg.3f15ba2a68f506293976cb8ebddafc63.jpg

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 5

Looking at the 2 photos you shared @ErinV I personally much prefer the look with the background. I've always used backgrounds myself as I really dislike seeing the cords. Seeing through it makes it look, to me, like a glass box full of water, plants and fish (which it is) whereas with a background, of any kind, it looks much more like a little world (which is what I'm shooting for in my aquariums). In my 10g I have what I think is that same background you've got except I use the other side. It's only taped on at the edges and my lights are pretty low so it's not super visible and just provides a little texture at the back. On my 29g I painted the back black which I also like just fine.

Your tank looks great; have fun stocking it!

• Like 2

On 7/15/2021 at 1:25 PM, Perry said:

Looking at the 2 photos you shared @ErinV I personally much prefer the look with the background. I've always used backgrounds myself as I really dislike seeing the cords. Seeing through it makes it look, to me, like a glass box full of water, plants and fish (which it is) whereas with a background, of any kind, it looks much more like a little world (which is what I'm shooting for in my aquariums). In my 10g I have what I think is that same background you've got except I use the other side. It's only taped on at the edges and my lights are pretty low so it's not super visible and just provides a little texture at the back. On my 29g I painted the back black which I also like just fine.

Your tank looks great; have fun stocking it!

I am very much leaning towards putting the background in. I think it would also help with keeping some of the light in the tank as it will have something to bounce of off.

On 7/15/2021 at 9:38 AM, NorthernAquarist said:

Great topic,

Black backgrounds look really good with real or even plastic plants. Tends to help those greens pop!

We use posterboard for black backgrounds. But do have a couple tanks with the graphic backgrounds that feature some desired but unachievable plants! Lol

We rather leave the sides open, but have closed off a couple sides due to predatory fish peeking on the innocent inhabitants!

*Edit* For applying backgrounds we use scotch tape for solid black, or the double sided for graphics 

Never would have thought of the double sided tape. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

My fish are more active and explore more and my plants do better without. I have 2 with all the rest without. I would remove those but they are each in front of a window. Last outlet plugs I had 🤣. I can also see the fish in back better the bottom edge isn’t as dark. 

On 7/15/2021 at 3:34 PM, ErinV said:

Never would have thought of the double sided tape. Thanks for the tip.

Sea clear liquid pet control pet smart or Amazon. easy on easy wipe off makes backgrounds more vivid high definition 

635D57DC-4D3C-44AC-8465-FD3ED573788A.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

I can't stand the look of cords and everything else behind the tank. So, definitely have to cover it up.

I always paint the back of mine black. It hides algae the best, IMO, and helps plants to 'pop'.

All my tanks have backgrounds, but they're all plain.  I don't buy the printed backgrounds for two reasons;  I'm cheap, and I prefer plain.  I also don't paint my tanks because it just seems so . . . permanent

When I was starting out I taped plain brown kraft paper to the backs.  I like the look (it looks better than it sounds), but of course it doesn't handle getting wet very well.  I have one or two with black poster board backs, and when I set up my 5 gallon tank at work I cut a piece of plain brown masonite and taped it on the back.  I started to paint it black, but decided to leave it first and see how I liked it.  Like the kraft paper, it turns out I like the brown, so I left it.

By the way, instead of cutting it to cover the whole back I cut it to fit between the top and bottom rims, and used continuous pieces of wide black electrical tape top and bottom to attach it.  I don't look back there very often, but when I do the black tape blends nicely with the black rims.

On 7/15/2021 at 4:02 AM, ErinV said:

Very intrested to see the split on this one.

Do you use a background and if so what type?

Solid colour, graphic, applied or held on by tape?

I think when I first started with a tank as a kid it was bare back, however in my adult fish keeping I have always had one. That is until my new 90g, possibly. Due to budget, I have always just got the double sided printed, laminated graphic from lfs. You know, the ones where one side is more blue and water looking and one side is rocks and green plants. That is what I have sitting beside the tank now. When I went to install it, hubby said that it made the tank look cheap. I am very torn. On one hand it hides the cords and all the stuff that keeps the tank running. It also gives that full look while plants are settling in and growing. I can however see hubby's side in that with everything else being real and much more natural looking, it looks fake and sorta brings the class level down. Not sure which way to go. Thoughts on my tank, pictures below. Also what is your preference when it comes to your tanks?

20210712_194639.jpg

20210713_145923.jpg

Nice tank. I have done the tape on the back ones both commercial and diy..... the static cling window tint stuff which is probably my favorite currently, the graphic ones like you have there, and the field expedient black trashbag with tape,  and the acrylic tank with the colored back panel.

I do the background just to give the fish security. Having to worry about looking for predators on four sides is probably more stressful than 3 sides when a background is used. A good spot to back up to for the fish is the way I look at it normally but I do not have them on all tanks. I personally think that a slightly thicker glass back panel with a matte finish on the interior side (basically media blasted to appear frosted on the inside before it is sealed) would be the best background since it would theoretically prevent the glare for photos, obscure the back cords and such, and allow for algae to grow on it and evolve into an even more interesting background as it matures. Pretty sure those don't exist yet but I could be mistaken. 

• Like 1

I use black, opaque, static cling type window film for most of my display tanks for all the reasons others have mentioned.  This stuff is cheap (about $10) for enough to do multiple tanks.  It’s easy to apply.  I’ve even applied it on a tank that was already up and running.  A spray bottle of water, a fresh, single edge razor blade (or Exacto knife), and any somewhat stiff card (old plastic gift card or similar), is all you need.  I cut a piece about an inch bigger than I need, then trim it after applied.  The narrowest size was not quite as wide as my 100 gallon, but I applied it against the top of the back since the bottom “gap” would be blocked from view by the substrate.  If I was doing a taller tank I would have bought a wider roll and trimmed.

For my 75 gallon redo, I’m going to try skipping the background.  It’s in front of a window and I will be growing pothos all down the back of it.  The algae hasn’t been excessive in there despite my neglect in scraping glass, so I’m willing to risk it.  It has a fairly light bioload relative to the filtration and I’m going to be adding a bunch of plants.  I want to see how it looks with the light filtering through the plants.

On 7/15/2021 at 10:55 AM, Maggie said:

I tried a cling-on background but it was too shiny, so I went with black posterboard. 

@Maggie the one I use is actually matte, the only shine comes from the actual glass. It also lay flat as soon as I got it out of the cardboard roll it had shipped in, not like the El cheapos from the LFS that wouldn't lay flat even after having had heavy books laid upon them for weeks. Took me a while to find this but it is exactly what I had in mind.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 11:35 AM, HH Morant said:

"I have 1 tank with a dark burgundy or oxblood background."

I would really like to see it. Picture?

Unfortunately there is really nothing to see. The tank is the last chance for dying plants and small scale experiments.. The oxblood background is the same color as the wall behind the tank so it disappears.  The all DIY project tank does not photograph well.  Daylight/roomlight photos are mostly glare and reflections. The DIY light system is dying from old age, and the dark red tones are mostly lost in this shot. 

Wisteria.jpg

• Like 1

Just depends on what you like.  As others have said, consider what your fish would look good against. Seems like black really draws focus to the fish.  I used the printed picture type for years, mainly to hide wires and tubes. I recently put a flat, rocky background from universal rocks in my two tanks and have been really happy with them because I've always wanted that "zoo" look. (sorry for the crappy pic, it's all I had access to at the moment)

IMG_1607.jpeg

Edited by TheBlueBeetle
  • Like 3

I finialy put my background in today. For now it is just the paper printed kind. I love that I can't see the cords now. Looking forward to the day that the plants are big enough to cover the heater and intake. 

20210720_143155.jpg

Edited by ErinV
  • Like 7

I chose not to use a background; my goal is always to have enough background plants and algae that you can't see through the back. The green algae that grows on the glass on the back makes for great good for my cherry shrimp. The downside of the background is that you might not be able to convert the tank into a peninsula later (depending on what you use to make the background).

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 7:18 AM, Scott P. said:

Black paper or paint on mine. I'm cheap.

Same here. I always go to a craft store and get big sheets of construction paper. Easy to cut to size and it usually holds up well until you run water down the back of the tank lol

• Like 1