Ro water needs minerals

Krazyboy

All of my fish, bettas, neons tetras, oscar, green terror, angelfish, mollies, rasboras, gouramis.... etc. are in liquid rock hard water. My tap sits between 18-19gh and they're all just fine! I'd suggest acclimating your betta to your tap water, don't make your fish keeping life harder than needed. (unless you are absolutely sure your betta needs soft water!)

Edited by HenryC

RO water has passed through  a membrane with hole so small only water molecules can pass. I find fish can do fine in this for a little while and with the right diet maybe forever? But I think it would add extra  stress for no real reason.  I know salt shrimp is the go to for a lot of people  I consider  very knowledgeable like the fabulous @Lizzie Blocksuggests. 

7 hours ago, Ben Ellison said:

I find fish can do fine in this for a little while and with the right diet maybe forever?

Fish kept in pure RO water will develop Osmoregulatory stress from the lack of minerals in the water. Osmoregualtion is a critical physiological process. Freshwater fish stay hydrated by absorbing water through their bodies. A lack of minerals in the water affects that biological process causing harm to the fish.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • Administrators
On 6/17/2021 at 5:30 PM, Leo2o915 said:

For the salty shrimp GH\KH+ for a 5 gallon bucket how much to keep it under 200

Under 200? I'd just do one scoop in 5 gallons if you still have the little spoon it comes with. It's really tough to know exactly how much without measuring. I believe I used around one scoop give or take to achieve 100 TDS in 5 gallons of RO water. So maybe you could add a little more. But I always measure as I go to make sure I'm not adding too much.. highly recommend getting a TDS meter if you don't have one already. If you're trying to achieve an exact level of TDS.