10 gallon cube for pipefish

Hi so this is going to be my college tank it is a 10 gallon water box cube.  I saw coreys video awhile ago and he recommended pipe fish.  Can they live happily and healthy and grow in a 10 gallon also what type of pipe fish was he recommending. And is there anything I should know ? Thx 

On 7/15/2021 at 1:53 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

Why are you saying I can't feed them ?

I think they’re trying to tell you it would be extremely challenging to keep the live cultures that would be required to keep pipefish healthy, all while trying to keep up with classes and the social life changes that usually happen at college.  Maybe try a less picky fish instead of pipefish?

• Like 2

Ok if I don’t have an issue and I’m fine with doing live feeding. I’m willing to take on the challenge. I know Corey said that they are great in a 10 gallon. What type are they , and is it a pair in a 10 gallon. I want to make sure if I get them they will grow and be happy and healthy. 

This is what he says in the article on the ACO website under 5 oddball fish for a 10 gallon tank.  Have you grown your own live food cultures before?  What other fish have you kept?

I actually DID keep saltwater pipefish and seahorses for a while.  It was a major struggle to get them to eat and supply them with appropriate live and frozen foods and it didn’t end well for the fish, I’m sad to say.  I set up the tank specifically for those species, I let it mature fully, I had live food cultures ready way before I got the fish, and still failed even with over 20 years of fishkeeping experience, including over a decade of saltwater/reef tank experience by that time.

I don’t want to discourage you, per se, but I would hate to have you struggle and have the fish suffer for it.  I have decades of experience with fish keeping (got my first tank in 1975) and I would think twice about trying to keep freshwater (or saltwater) pipefish and I currently have 3 tanks with pea puffers.  My live food cultures take up more room than my puffer tanks.

What are you going to do when you go home for the weekend, when you go home for the summer?  Are you going to haul all your tanks home?  Fish tank, live food culture tanks, the works?

“2. FRESHWATER PIPEFISH

The African freshwater pipefish (Enneacampus ansorgii) is an advanced species that we typically only recommend for veteran fish keepers because of the time investment and specialized diet they required. As cousins of seahorses, they like to hook their tails onto objects as their heads bob around to investigate their surroundings, so provide them with lots of aquarium plants or fish tank decorations as anchor points. The difficulty comes in their food requirements since they have small mouths and like to eat tiny live foods that move, such as baby brine shrimp and daphnia. Because they are also slow eaters, use a sponge filter or other low flow filtration to prevent the food from being swept away. Most tank mates should be avoided since they will outcompete the pipefish during mealtime, but snails may be useful as clean-up crew members to pick up leftover crumbs. Due to their difficulty level, they are not readily available in the aquarium hobby, so you may need to ask your local fish store if they can order them for you.”

• Like 6

So I've kept discus for around 5 years and no issues I have a 24 gallon reef tank that was my college tank. I have a 40 breeder at home so summer break they can come home. I just want to know for the freshwater pipe fish was Corey recommending a pair. The other thing is can they be kept in a 10 cube for life. And be happy and healthy and grow to full size. I'm willing to take the challenge I currently have a spotted congo puffer doing great so I have kept and successfully maintained difficult fish. 

Edited by Stephen Zawacki
  • Like 1

@Stephen Zawacki Sounds like you are well prepared, then.

I hope someone can better answer your questions.  I know just enough about them to be very concerned when someone still in college wants to take on a very challenging fish.  Not all college students think through something like this as carefully as they should.  It sounds like you’re preparing well.

Please keep us posted on your tank.  I’m very interested in how things go.  I already have pea puffers so I have all kinds of live food, plus a 10 gallon tank that will be available in a couple weeks.  😆 

can anyone respond to my questions above, I'm well aware of the difficulties with the freshwater pipe fish, what I want to know is what specie did Corey recommend in his 5 odd ball fish for a 10 gallon video.  Also would a water box cube 10 gallon be fine for them for life, and be happy and healthy and grow to full length.  Now I'm sure that since he recommended them for 10 gallons that they could live in that for life, and live happy and healthy I just want to make sure.  Also I got flouralite black lava rock planted substrate is that ok for them since I know some species require sand.  

thx