Spirulina, is it a super-food for our fish?

KBOzzie59

I use zoo med spirulina flakes and dr Tim’s powdered Hawaiin spirulina as fry food and in my repashy mixes. I have also read studies on garlic improvements in fish immunity so I use garlic guard as well.  Some one on here recently posted about fresh garlic. 

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 3:07 PM, Guppysnail said:

I use zoo med spirulina flakes and dr Tim’s powdered Hawaiin spirulina as fry food and in my repashy mixes. I have also read studies on garlic improvements in fish immunity so I use garlic guard as well.  Some one on here recently posted about fresh garlic. 

I've been grinding up Extremes' Spirulina flake, going to get some of the Dr. Tims!

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 11:37 AM, KBOzzie59 said:

I've been grinding up Extremes' Spirulina flake, going to get some of the Dr. Tims!

Don’t over do it several smaller portions spread out is best. It is dead algae and I did od it once and had a small ammonia spike….just .25 but it was enough to get my attention and I really accidentally overdid by not shaking into my hand first I tried to sprinkle from container into tank and well….way to much

• Like 1

Now this will result in having to wash your hands after feeding your fish, but in my mix container of fish food I put a bit of spirulina powder in it.  It ends up coating some of the flakes, bug bites, etc.  The fish endup eatting it that way.  

(Ok I might be a weirdo by mixing fish foods together *shrug* I just thought it might help balance out their diet)

• Like 2

• Administrators

Everything in moderation. I remember when spirulina 20 by zoomed was all the rage. There were studies that showed fish couldn't utilize anywhere near that level of spirulina in the food.

To me, most things are no different than, X food is good for a human. Then someone starting eating too much of it. It no longer has the benefits it once did if in excess. A rounded diet that gives a variety of nutrients in different formulations is usually the easiest way to make sure a fish is getting what it needs.

I picked up some Sera spirulina wafers with wood a while ago while I was traveling and perusing driftwood in a LFS where i was as I tend to do; my plecos and otos seem to really love that stuff, and  knowing that @Cory carries Sera in his assortment of fish foods I was wondering if he would consider adding it? Although there are quite a bit of different kinds already in it, and based on that I could understand if he wouldn't want to add any, but I figured: ask not, get not.