Good problems arising from my Wisteria project.

Last winter I bought some Wisteria in another attempt to grow a tall nitrate eating background planting.  It died.  In January I planted the last rotting stub in an inch of pool sand in my 10 gallon project tank.  I would think that the conditions are far from optimal but the Wisteria thrived.   (I'm hoping the Java fern will do the same).  Now the problem:

The Wisteria is now 10" tall and bushy.   It is just below the surface so I'm thinking it is time to trim it.  I would like to take cuttings.  How far back can I cut it?

I upgraded the DIY light a week ago and the Wisteria now appears to be putting out immersed leaves.   Is this a result of brighter light or  because the plant is so close to the waters surface?

Wist ten inch.jpg

On 7/13/2021 at 11:55 PM, Tanked said:

Last winter I bought some Wisteria in another attempt to grow a tall nitrate eating background planting.  It died.  In January I planted the last rotting stub in an inch of pool sand in my 10 gallon project tank.  I would think that the conditions are far from optimal but the Wisteria thrived.   (I'm hoping the Java fern will do the same).  Now the problem:

The Wisteria is now 10" tall and bushy.   It is just below the surface so I'm thinking it is time to trim it.  I would like to take cuttings.  How far back can I cut it?

I upgraded the DIY light a week ago and the Wisteria now appears to be putting out immersed leaves.   Is this a result of brighter light or  because the plant is so close to the waters surface?

Wist ten inch.jpg

So with wisteria it will start growing outward once it can't grow upward anymore. As far as cutting it you can pretty much cut it wherever you would like it's a super forgiving plant it will grow like an absolute weed but looks so good. I personally like to cut it before new shoots come out that have nice root starts. With my wisteria I have noticed where I cut it it will not continue to grow from the cut but will have new shoots branch off below the cut so be mindful of that. Basically if you want it to grow more horizontally you can cut it and either replant the part you cut off or throw it away or compost it but if you want it to grow more narrow I would cut closer to the bottom and replant the top part and toss the planted piece this will keep the plant growing up and not out as much. Wisteria can also be floated in the tank. Good luck!

Edited by DannyBWell
  • Thanks 1

Water wisteria is a great plant, and is very forgiving.  As @DannyBWellsaid, where you cut it isn't critical.  I usually try to cut mine down low enough that other plants in front will hide the cut end, and I also try to leave at least one leaf node below the cut since new growth will come from the node.  Usually two shoots will appear at that node, so pruning makes the plant more bushy.

As they grow and bush out the lower portions will occasionally lose all the leaves.  When that happens I usually pull them up, cut off the lower portion that doesn't have any leaves, discard it, and plant the top portion back in the substrate.

If it's happy it will just keep growing.  I have some in my 65 gallon tank, and frequently have to prune it because it's reached the top of the water.  It is also thick enough that it pretty much completely hides the heater, sponge filter, and the discharge from the HOB.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 11:05 AM, JettsPapa said:

Water wisteria is a great plant, and is very forgiving.  As @DannyBWellsaid, where you cut it isn't critical.  I usually try to cut mine down low enough that other plants in front will hide the cut end, and I also try to leave at least one leaf node below the cut since new growth will come from the node.  Usually two shoots will appear at that node, so pruning makes the plant more bushy.

As they grow and bush out the lower portions will occasionally lose all the leaves.  When that happens I usually pull them up, cut off the lower portion that doesn't have any leaves, discard it, and plant the top portion back in the substrate.

If it's happy it will just keep growing.  I have some in my 65 gallon tank, and frequently have to prune it because it's reached the top of the water.  It is also thick enough that it pretty much completely hides the heater, sponge filter, and the discharge from the HOB.

Node! I was trying to figure out last night when I posted the correct wording it was node haha 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1