Future tankmates Ideas!

Averus

So I have my humble 55 gallon, which I have included a picture below, which I have had up since the end of May, so it is still pretty young.  Managed to survive an Ich outbreak, and now that is under control, I am looking to the future for ideas for new things to add!

My water parameters are 74 PH, with 10 hardness.  My water quality is pretty good, thanks to the plants.

Right now the tank just has four varitus platys, six black neon tetras and some snails, along with all the plants.  Most plants are doing well, though I do need to trim off that one bad leaf on one of my java ferns.  I do have a lot of frogbit, but I have begun to control that so it doesn't take things over.

I currently have some lemon tetras and more black neon tetras in quarantine, and after they are done, will likely go with some Corydoras to populate the bottom.  After that, I am trying to figure out what I should get next.  I have plenty of room, and am thinking of treating it almost like a giant nano tank, as I really like a lot of the smaller community species that are very peaceful, but I also like having the room.

I really enjoy tetras, would a another species school be okay?  I got a lot of great advice on different types of tetras here a bit back. I was also looking at some of the more easy to keep rainbow fish and rasboras as other schooling options, but right now I am pretty open to anything that will be peaceful, get get along with with I already have, be beginner friendly, and also will not decimate my plants.  This includes any other invertebrates, if they are okay to add without causing any issues. IMG_3659.jpg.40b5bc866006e791da9e3b741dd33a99.jpg

• Love 1

you could do a good school of harlequin rasboras (love these!) and/or cardinal tetras

check out the "Best Fish Lists" playlist on ACO, has a lot of videos you can watch to see what are best schooling fish, best centerpiece fish, top 10 for X tank size, etc... I watched those a lot when thinking about my smaller version of a giant nano tank (29g) that I am "building" now

the tank looks great! love the plant growth!!

• Like 1

The Cardinal and Rummynose do sound like good ideas, but I am a little worried my water may be a bit hard for them.  I am not totally against trying them, thanks to my success with the Black Neon Tetras.  The BNT's are pretty vibrant and have grown a bit since I got them, so I must be doing something right there.

The Cherry Barbs and Rasboras may be a little more forgiving of my water.

I was thinking of a trio of Pearl Gourami's, but going down to the smaller Honey Gourami's sound interesting too.

As for a centerpiece, that's something I really am trying to work out.  Would a single Angelfish work with what I have?  I am worried if I get more some would pair up and terrorize everyone else.  I think my tank could at least handle and adult Angelfish when it gets larger.