Does this kuhli loach look normal to you?

Collette

Hello Fish Fam!

I've got 8 kuhlis in this tank that live happily with a colony of endlers (and a smattering of guppies). The kuhlis are active always, happily playing and visible at all times of the day. The kuhli in question isn't the exception to this, in fact it's as active as all the others, but what's so different is its coloring. It's washed out and utterly pale, vastly different to the others. It's gills are obviously red, and I can't know if it's because it's so pale or because something is wrong and it's sick. I'm posting pics of the other kuhlis for comparison.  Anyone have an opinion on this? I'd appreciate any input. 

Collette 

20210713_235825.jpg

20210714_000609.jpg

20210714_000549.jpg

I've never seen it look another type of way, but to be fair, until recently when I made a few improvements to the tank specifically  for the kuhlis (adding more sand, hidey holes, tunnels, etc) I didn't really see them very much at all.  Now, they are always out and about, day or night (which is so odd, because now that they've got plenty of places to hide, they never hide anymore!). 

On 7/13/2021 at 10:17 PM, Collette said:

Hello Fish Fam!

I've got 8 kuhlis in this tank that live happily with a colony of endlers (and a smattering of guppies). The kuhlis are active always, happily playing and visible at all times of the day. The kuhli in question isn't the exception to this, in fact it's as active as all the others, but what's so different is its coloring. It's washed out and utterly pale, vastly different to the others. It's gills are obviously red, and I can't know if it's because it's so pale or because something is wrong and it's sick. I'm posting pics of the other kuhlis for comparison.  Anyone have an opinion on this? I'd appreciate any input. 

Collette 

20210713_235825.jpg

20210714_000609.jpg

20210714_000549.jpg

Ive had an occasional washed out loach. I believe its normally stress or occasionally breeding behavior.  Attached gif are my dwarf chain loaches doing that. They can go from normal pattern to basically solid silver and back whenever they want and nearly immediately. It may be possible that the khuli does similar behavior to the chain loach when it comes to colors but the full body could be a sign of off water parameters. Id double check the parameters maybe water change and observe that loach for khuli skin pattern darkening and recovery. 

20210313_142248_1.gif

Weekly water change was done day before yesterday and all parameters are as they should be.  It's so odd that none of the 7 other kuhlis exhibit this, unless it's as DSH said, and a genetic thing. 

Thanks for the suggestion! 

I have done a lot of moving around Kuhli loaches and they tend to look washed out when they’re stressed. I have also seen it more so on sand substrates, not sure if it’s an attempt to blend in. 

When I have netted them out of sand substrates they almost always turn pale, if yours is staying that way and it seems to be acting normally.. I wouldn’t be too worried, it may just be blending in with it’s surroundings without being stressed? I’m by no means an expert when it comes to fish diseases but as long as it’s acting normally and eating with the others I would think it should be fine. They do tend to be happier in slightly warmer water than other fish but nothing pops out to me as needing to be treated.