What should is do about doing water changes on vacation!!

Cohen

Hi I am leaving to go on a trip to Wisconsin to is Thursday July 15th and I have everything prepared for the fish except I don’t know what to do about water changes. I will be gone about one week maybe two and I have a 7 gallon fry tank and a 20 gallon long tank with 10 platys ! Any advice or tips would be nice thanks!! 

EB678B00-3E75-4728-B923-F021F6ADFC3A.jpeg

On 7/13/2021 at 11:34 PM, lefty o said:

change before you go, change when you get back. the 20 gallon can handle a few weeks without a change no problem. the 7gal, i would just be cautious about over feeding before you head out the door.

Thanks for the tip! I will keep that in mind!!

On 7/14/2021 at 12:34 AM, lefty o said:

change before you go, change when you get back. the 20 gallon can handle a few weeks without a change no problem. the 7gal, i would just be cautious about over feeding before you head out the door.

Sounds like good advice to me. What kind of fry are in the small tank?

On 7/13/2021 at 11:27 PM, DSH OUTDOORS said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Best defense would be throw some live plants like hornwort to use up any buildup of nitrates while you are away. I have fish breeding in tanks that haven't seen a water changes in months.

I agree with throwing in some live plants if you have some available, but be careful what plants you use.  Some, like hornwort, will often melt back pretty bad when introduced to a new environment.  I wouldn't want that to happen when I wasn't there  to remove the dead plant matter.