Any can help me identifying this plant

Hi, to me that looks kind of like a floating piece of water sprite? I've had at least one that looks similar, with the roots coming down, and an appearance similar to a fern with a bunch of leaves coming out of a central point. The new growth also seems similar with the curled up leaf growing from a central point also like water sprite. Hope this helps!

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My guess is also Windelov or Lace Java fern (Leptochilus pteropus ‘Windelov’).  Has leaves sprouting from what appears to be a rhizome, has brown, skinny, slightly fuzzy looking roots, and it looks like it has multiple forks/splits starting at the leaf tips.  Looks in rough shape currently, so don’t be surprised if it fades.

All varieties of Java fern like to be attached to something (wood, rock, decoration) and hate their rhizome being buried in substrate.  Their roots can be buried, but the rhizome will be prone to rot if buried.  They are water column feeders, primarily.

I've noticed, if you can attach them to something so that their roots can eventually reach substrate, they seem to especially like that.  They also seem to do a slightly better attached to wood vs rocks or decorations.  I suspect it gives them just that little bit more nutrition as the roots dig in to the wood.

• Like 3

On 7/13/2021 at 7:52 PM, Odd Duck said:

My guess is also Windelov or Lace Java fern (Leptochilus pteropus ‘Windelov’).  Has leaves sprouting from what appears to be a rhizome, has brown, skinny, slightly fuzzy looking roots, and it looks like it has multiple forks/splits starting at the leaf tips.  Looks in rough shape currently, so don’t be surprised if it fades.

All varieties of Java fern like to be attached to something (wood, rock, decoration) and hate their rhizome being buried in substrate.  Their roots can be buried, but the rhizome will be prone to rot if buried.  They are water column feeders, primarily.

I've noticed, if you can attach them to something so that their roots can eventually reach substrate, they seem to especially like that.  They also seem to do a slightly better attached to wood vs rocks or decorations.  I suspect it gives them just that little bit more nutrition as the roots dig in to the wood.

On 7/13/2021 at 7:44 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I agree. The tops look like that of the Windelov.

Thanks guys

• Like 1