What do you do with all your babies?

Lexi B

I don't consider myself a dedicated breeder, since really I just like keeping aquariums. But breeding is a given with cherry shrimp, and 10 has become more like hundreds. I don't know what to do with them! I would like to get some money back, since of course it does cost time and money to keep them all happy and healthy.

How do you send out your babies?

I give out several to the friends, and I also have a deal with my lfs. I have an open account there, I take my extra fish there when ever I have any, and I shop from there whenever I need something. Every two months we close the account. Whoever oves money pays the other . It's a sweet deal for me, never stress over fish population.

• Thanks 1

Lucky! I can't seem to get my shrimp to breed as prolifically as I had hoped.  There seems to be a strong market for cherry shrimp.  Girl Talks Fish has a video on how to ship shrimp like a pro if you don't have an easy outlet with a local fish store.  You will earn much more money directly selling them yourself than to your fish store, but there is the investment of your own time and money to get shipping supplies.  

I don't seem to know anyone that wants to take my extra fish! 

On 7/13/2021 at 2:41 PM, KBOzzie59 said:

I'll tell you what I would not do with them!  I'd not let them grow up to be cowboys!

But seriously, do you have any local fish stores?  I'd start there.

As far as I can tell, the nearest local fish store is actually aquarium co op. And since they're so popular, I imagine they already have a lot of people bringing in babies haha. 

On 7/13/2021 at 4:54 PM, SWilson said:

Lucky! I can't seem to get my shrimp to breed as prolifically as I had hoped.  There seems to be a strong market for cherry shrimp.  Girl Talks Fish has a video on how to ship shrimp like a pro if you don't have an easy outlet with a local fish store.  You will earn much more money directly selling them yourself than to your fish store, but there is the investment of your own time and money to get shipping supplies.  

I don't seem to know anyone that wants to take my extra fish! 

You know, I really didn't expect them to breed like this. Especially since they've got a betta in the tank, but clearly hw either can't or doesn't want to catch them. 

I've considered posting around about selling shrimp, but considering the horrors of fb market place and the like, I worry about the well being of the shrimp beyond my care!

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 8:00 AM, Lexi B said:

As far as I can tell, the nearest local fish store is actually aquarium co op

Maybe connect with Robert and see if he has room for some.

Maybe try Bridges Pets in Snohomish?

Yeah it's going to be tough locally since there are many selling RCS in our area.

Find a local fish club, you must be in Seattle area if the co-op is your LFS, Greater Seattle Aquarium Society is the one I know off hand out there. Find out when meetings are and go if you are able. Take a couple bags, most clubs have mini auctions during meetings that members can bring fish in and be sold, a percentage will go to club and you get the rest. Otherwise, advertise on places online such as Craigslist or Reddit, A few years ago, I sold a bunch of shrimp and plants by ads on Craigslist. 

On 7/13/2021 at 5:34 PM, Lexi B said:

I don't consider myself a dedicated breeder, since really I just like keeping aquariums. But breeding is a given with cherry shrimp, and 10 has become more like hundreds. I don't know what to do with them! I would like to get some money back, since of course it does cost time and money to keep them all happy and healthy.

How do you send out your babies?

I’m over run with crystal reds now. I typically sell them on Craigslist locally and when someone pays for like 10 shrimp, I’ll show up with 20 and they are happy as can be!

But its boom of bust with CL I find. Some months I suddenly have a flurry of sales, others nothing.