Are uv lights safe in my aquarium

Ok so my 10 gallon tank is producing so much green water I can't keep up with it , within two days of doing major water changes you can't even see into the tank , I tried a hob filter that diddnt work I tried turning the light off , it got worse , I haven't dosed ferts in a month , will a uv filter help ? And will it be safe for my fish ? Other ideas are welcome , on a good note we had some platy fry show up in the tank out of no where 

@Marshall You mentioned you tried turning the lights off, did you also darken the tank with a blanket, or dark bags? If not then you might want to try this but since you mentioned you used to dose fertilizer I surmise you also have plants in the tank, at that point I would not go past 48 hours with the total blackout. The UV sterilizers are usually safe for your fish as long as the unit isn't damaged, the principle is that they use a pump that directs water past a UV bulb located in a crystal glass cylinder inside the sterilizers body.

They do work, they kill algae and bacteria in the water streaming past the bulb and will clear up your water but they are usually fairly expensive, and the bulbs tend to burn out after several weeks, or months and will need replacement often, they take up space in the tank, and if you are dosing liquid iron the UV light messes with its chelation and renders it unusable to plants. They are more of a short term temporary solution than a permanent fixture. I own one, and just like my Marineland Magnum Clear diatom filter I only use it when needed.

Here a few links dealing with the subject:

https://aquanswers.com/how-to-get-rid-of-green-water-in-aquarium-infested-algae-bloom/

https://fishlab.com/green-aquarium-water/

That many critters , plus two adult snails one newborn snail and one platy fry the others got eaten lol doesn't get sunlight , gets the aquarium light for 4 to 6 hours a day this is some thing that just started happening over past 3 months had the tank for about 2 years now 

1626212389032477114666572628034.jpg

16262124279158528662198315314542.jpg

On 7/13/2021 at 5:38 PM, Jungle Fan said:

@Marshall You mentioned you tried turning the lights off, did you also darken the tank with a blanket, or dark bags? If not then you might want to try this but since you mentioned you used to dose fertilizer I surmise you also have plants in the tank, at that point I would not go past 48 hours with the total blackout. The UV sterilizers are usually safe for your fish as long as the unit isn't damaged, the principle is that they use a pump that directs water past a UV bulb located in a crystal glass cylinder inside the sterilizers body.

They do work, they kill algae and bacteria in the water streaming past the bulb and will clear up your water but they are usually fairly expensive, and the bulbs tend to burn out after several weeks, or months and will need replacement often, they take up space in the tank, and if you are dosing liquid iron the UV light messes with its chelation and renders it unusable to plants. They are more of a short term temporary solution than a permanent fixture. I own one, and just like my Marineland Magnum Clear diatom filter I only use it when needed.

Here a few links dealing with the subject:

https://aquanswers.com/how-to-get-rid-of-green-water-in-aquarium-infested-algae-bloom/

https://fishlab.com/green-aquarium-water/

The uv light was a suggestion from the LFS , it's not something I would plan for long term use , tanks getting overhauled once we move just wanted to get any sort of idea what's going on 

• Like 1

Of course you can use UV lights long term, as long as you keep exchanging burnt out light bulbs, and if you aren't dosing liquid iron it really doesn't matter. What I was explaining is that I only use them when needed, because I don't like to have to keep buying expensive new bulbs every few months (another reason why I switched from T5 fluorescents to LEDs), don't like another big contraption added permanently to my tank, and don't like that it limits me to root tabs as the only effective way of adding iron fertilization for my many root feeders; so you see it is preference not harm, or impracticability. Green water as you said so correctly after all is mostly a matter of regulating, light, feeding, and fertilization and can be controlled by doing so but in extreme cases it's nice to have another big gun in reserve.

• Like 1

I have the mini green killing machine on order the 3w one . Gonna try it . When it clears up I'll remove it and change the game plan . Should be here tomorrow . I'll follow up in a day or so that k you all for the info . I'm not the best fish keeper but I am trying to learn because it's my daughter's tank and she love her fishys

• Like 2

UV light controls bacteria and other organisms in the water column, which helps the fish stay healthier. If their immune systems don't have to resist as much bacteria in the water, fish are better able to fight off other diseases.

Controlling bacteria and other organisms in the water column also increases water clarity, although even clear water can have a lot of bacteria in it.

• Like 1

Will post a picture  later but so it's been almost two weeks with the 3w uv light , I have to do some tank maintenance the water is getting clearer and we also saw another fry so that's two fry in there now and my daughter wants to name it taco 🌮 ... We're gonna need a bigger boat 

I have a 20 long that holds 4 Multi's (not heavy bio load).  I had green water, green water, green water.  Filtered with a sponge filter and a Seachem 35 HOB.  Still green.  Added the green killing machine 9w and in a week I have the clearest water ever.  You can actually see the fish!  I'm a believer now.

Edited by Sweetonion

Update : havent had the chance to change water because we are moving but  parameters are holding , the mini green killing machine took at least 5 days to show any improvement , I cut the lighting hours to 4 hours a day and the water is crystal clear , I have to do maintenance but that will happen when we move the tank. We also now have three known fry from out yellow and orange/ reddish platys 

Turned off the uv but still using the pier head for circulation for now 

16275918041972650351464180934213.jpg

• Like 1