What kind of apisto is this?

Ameer

I bought this advertised as a macmasteri but it’s not coloring up as if it is one. I’ve had it for over 2 weeks. Looking to bring a mate for him but am uncertain of what kind of apisto it actually is. The place I got it from are out of this species so I can’t go back to them to buy a female. 

7C6B8498-1C68-445C-B9AE-DC87B982B21D.jpeg

If it doesn't color up, and because of the as it seems from your photo non-rounded tail fin that would indicate it isn't Apistogramma macmasteri according to my identification book,  by Horst Linke & Dr. Wolfgang Staeck "American Cichlids I - Dwarf Cichlids - A Handbook for their Identification, Care, and Breeding", I would suspect it might be Apistogramma personata, although it could very well be a hybrid of some sort as well, since industrious breeders these days have been able to produce all kinds of hybrid forms.

I hope this helps.

I would post this question over on the forms at apistogramma; there are 100's of different apistogramma with very subtle differences between the less common species and there are some experts over there. Also a lot of these fishes can control there colours based on mood. Generally they turn dark when stressed.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 1:00 PM, Jungle Fan said:

It's an older book I bought way back in 1994 but to this day one of the most complete for Apistogramma even if a few of the designations have changed in the meantime.

20210713_115610[1].jpg

Gee that book has been out of print for years. There is a series of newer books but they are in german; but rumour is they might do a limited print in english.

I'm familiar with cichlid.org; one of the problems with apisto (and dwarf cichlid in general)  is there are very few good english books and a lot of new species have been found the past 20 years.

Edited by anewbie