Nice lady at LFS or crazy lady at LFS?

DebSills

So last week I picked up some CPDs at my LFS and got to talking with the very nice lady who helped wrangle 18 of the little cuties into bags for me. She fed them BBS while I was there and then showed me where the BBS was in their freezer (it was kind of hidden and I didn't see it at first inspection), bottom line, she was very nice, knowledgeable and patient with any questions I asked her.

here's my question - while in the freezer section talking about foods for my CPDs and also the Embers I had at home - she suggested reef plankton because she said it really helps bring out the reds in fish and she "swears by it"...has anyone else ever fed food primarily for reef/saltwater fish to their freshwater fish? LFS lady said she does it all the time, but who knows, maybe she just went loopy or was pulling the wool over my eyes (have not fed frozen in the past, so...)?

On 7/13/2021 at 7:26 AM, GameCzar said:

Omega One sells freeze-dried plankton as a marine or freshwater fish treat.   I'm not an expert, but I can't see why it wouldn't be safe.

I'm sure she was just sharing her personal experience.  

This. 

Another example is the Xtreme krill flake food.  Lots of people think it's great for color, especially reds.  Im testing it now with my tetras.  It was originally marketed as a marine food until Cory convinced them to change their packaging.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2021 at 2:41 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

In the episode of the aquarists podcast with Rosario Lacorte he talked about foods high in caratanoids and I imagine the krill and plankton may be higher in them. Who knows? I have thrown paprika in my Repashy in the past. 

That's basically what they said at the LFS - she said the reef plankton was really high in beta carotene (a caratanoid) and made the red colors really develop in her fish.

Thanks everyone for the responses, I just wanted to make sure - I didn't think she would recommend anything that was inherently bad for the fish, but at the same time, I have always just done flakes in the past, so not well versed in frozen foods

• Like 1