6 gallon “Volcano”

On 3/25/2022 at 11:16 AM, Jungle Fan said:

Some Helanthium quadricostatus that used to be counted as swords under Echinodorus quadricostatus, a.k,a. bolivianum, might do the trick if you don't want more crypts, although they are also green.

I’ve got more than enough of that in several tanks.  I’m still working out what else I might put in this tank.  Thinking I might get more Pogostemon helferi to replace the melted stuff now that the over large ‘Red Flame’ is out that way cutting off the light.

I’m looking for some version of pink Crypts for the front left corner since ‘Pink Panther’ didn’t thrive for me.  Looking for nurii ‘Pink Line’ or something similar.

Edited by Odd Duck
Clarify
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 12:28 PM, Jungle Fan said:

Pogostemon helferi would work and as long as you've got at least medium light you could get the red from Alternanthera reineckii 'mini'. I think it would look really great in that tank.

I’ve been there, done that with both AR and AR ‘Mini’ and have not had much luck growing it.  I thought it would look good in there, too.  Originally had some in the back left corner of this tank, it gradually faded.  I’ve tried it in others, also.  I currently have a bit of it growing partially emerse in one of my 10 G QT tanks but I’m still not impressed with it.  I have a single stem of what I was told was AR ‘Mini’ I got as a freebie when I bought other plants.  It’s growing in my 20 high but looks completely different growing style than all the other AR ‘Mini’ I’ve bought.  I’m not sure what it actually is or if the AR ‘Mini’ I’ve bought isn’t really AR.

I have borderline low-medium light, nothing fancy, just the Aqueon planted tank lights they sell for their cubes.  When I eventually get my Low Row tanks moved onto a rack in my eventual fish room, I’ll probably add a supplemental light above the group of cubes.  I even tried taking the backing film off the tank since it’s in front of a window thinking that would help, but it didn’t.  The AR was where the Crypt. pontederiifolia is now.  If you look at the very first pics of this tank I posted you can see the AR struggling along back there on the left.

• Like 1

I think the Pogostemon helferi will look good there, and if you still want something else in its place I can recommend the Cryptocoryne wendtii "Green Gecko' I've got growing in the center of my tank, it starts light bright green until it matures and then turns a light reddish brown green. It even grows in places behind, and besides the stumps where there is only extremely low light. Only problem I have with it is I have to trim it at least every two weeks.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:54 PM, Jungle Fan said:

I think the Pogostemon helferi will look good there, and if you still want something else in its place I can recommend the Cryptocoryne wendtii "Green Gecko' I've got growing in the center of my tank, it starts light bright green until it matures and then turns a light reddish brown green. It even grows in places behind, and besides the stumps where there is only extremely low light. Only problem I have with it is I have to trim it at least every two weeks.

I tried to buy ‘Green Gecko’ once and apparently got sent some plants that were apparently very young, immatures of Aponogeton crispus.  At least that’s my best guess.  I’m not sure if any of what I got was ‘Green Gecko’ or if I’m still waiting for them to grow a bit more and “convert” to Aponogetons. 😝 I think might have some ‘Green Gecko’?  They all looked like bright green Crypts when I got them. The story is scattered throughout my thread on my 100 gallon nanofish tank but revisited starting here.

I’m afraid that ‘Gecko’ will get too big for this tank.  The Crypt. ponte I already have in there will probably get too big eventually, too.

• Like 1

Got mine through a friend from the Aquatic Gardeners Association, traded it in for some big Red Flame swords and one each of my Ozelot Green, and Ozelot Red swords. He gave me two large plants and I divided them out before I planted the 75 gallon, I had trimmed them all the way back to 1/4" above the rhizome. Can't even tell how many I've got now, When I order plants I really appreciate Aquarium Co-Op because they don't pull the bait and switch like so many other places do. For the exotic ones I usually see if I can trade with friends. 

As far as getting too big you can always trim them all the way back, actually makes them come back stronger in my experience. It's what I do with mine, just not all at the same time.

Edited by Jungle Fan