Time for Air-drying Bleached Tank

swivvr

I just got finished with bleaching and rinsing my tools and my 5 gallon tank by following Irene's how to disinfect an aquarium with bleach video and was wondering how long should I let the tank and tools air-dry. Does anyone know how long I should?

On 7/12/2021 at 10:43 AM, KBOzzie59 said:

I imagine until they are dry.  Note that drying does not remove any residual bleach.  So when you do fill it, test for chlorine and treat as necessary.

I don't have a chlorine test strip but if I run extra dechlorinator in the tank, will that do the job of removing any left over bleach?

On 7/12/2021 at 2:37 PM, swivvr said:

I don't have a chlorine test strip but if I run extra dechlorinator in the tank, will that do the job of removing any left over bleach?

I think that is exactly what it would do.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2021 at 2:56 PM, KBOzzie59 said:

" Probably "

I was thinking 'probably', cause I didn't know how much bleach would be left, but that just didn't sound strong enough so I went with 'exactly'. In retrospect 'probably' might have been more accurate/🙂

• Thanks 1

Bleach only needs to sit for 10 minutes.  After that, rinse it like you have the blood of your dead enemies on your hands.  Then rinse a few more times.  Then I let things soak with triple dechlorinator for at least 30 minutes.  THEN I feel comfy using things.

• Thanks 1