Will pea puffers eat all sized snails?

PattysAquatics

I've a group of 7 pea puffers in my 120 gallon that used to have snails, all sized. Used to because the puffers have merc'd them all. They'll nip pieces out of larger snails, sometimes killing them in the process. Most of the time I'd see them come back a few times in the day and eat the rest, but otherwise other snails would cannibalize the remains pretty quickly.

I'd hoped they would leave the mystery snails in there alone because of size. After I saw them take a chunk out of one, they got to live in a different tank safe from puffers. 

Moral of the story, pea puffers are murder hornets for any kind of snail from my experience. I grow snails in all my other tanks at this point, tossing the extras into the puffer tank when they get too dense. 

• Like 4

I have several large rams in my pea puffer tank and they mostly leave alone the big ones.  I have it planted densely enough that I see eggs laid regularly but don’t often see baby snails.  I do add small ones regularly, always trying to drop them into an extra dense bunch of plants.

I have seen the peas harass snails to death, taking little bites when they can.  They like small snails best, but they will usually still slurp the meat out as best they can rather than eat then whole.  They rarely get everything out, so the remainder needs removed.

I try to keep scuds going in the tank and rely on them to help clean up any remainders.  I add the scuds regularly from my shrimp tanks.

• Like 2

I thought I would throw in a few large Ramshorn in the pea Palace to clean up a bit... Yeah once the peas saw them it was game over for the snails.

The peas would take bites and the snails would retreat.  Any chance they had to take a bite out of them and I couldn't stand to see the snails suffer a slow piece by piece death so I pulled them to safety.

Now I feed them the baby's, at least it is over quick for them.

• Thanks 1