water change for new planted tank?

I set up this 10 gallon tank a week ago, I used potting soil under the gravel. My nitrates and nitrites are really high because of the soil and the duckweed has been doing really good. I do want to add shrimp when I get everything right and the plants are have taken hold. My question is should I do a water change now to get the nitrates down or just wait it out and let the plants take care of it?

KIMG0550.JPG

• Like 1

I wouldn't water change, but I would plant alot more. If ammonia doesn't disappear, and you start seeing algae, start water changes to control algae.

When ammonia is zero and nitrites are zero, big water change to get nitrates in the 20ppm range. I would also start dosing fertilizer, very lightly during this time.

• Like 1

No livestock in the tank atm, I am just trying to get the plants established. I am using fertilizer and a few days after putting in the first dose there was some algae building up on the glass and other stuff. I cleaned it out that day and reduced my light from 10 hours to 8 hours and the algae I didn't get seams to be going away. I am wondering if I should break up the Monte Carlo to help it spread around the tank?