Tank mates for betta 5 gallon tank

Djsa

Welcome to the forum! I would do a mystery snail or netrite. Is it a male or female betta. Also are you a newer or older to the hobby. Just wondering so we could help you out more. Hope your aquarium goes well!

Edited by Taco Playz

I REALLY want to add shrimp to my 5 gallon with a betta - they're working out really well with a betta in my 20 gallon...and they're so fun!

Snails are really easy tank mates!  Nerites are the best at cleaning up messes...but they also make one...💩!

• Like 1

My betta hugo lives with a nirite snail, and did live with a group of neon tetras. The neon tetras did go after his fins so I had to remove them. But the bioload with the snail, hugo and the tetras were just fine in a 5 gallon. I would suggest doing some smaller rasboras with your betta. For example chilli rasboras, or galaxy rasboras. 

@Catfish_Lover_Jane has pygmy corydoras with her betta and it seems to be working out "okay" for her. The only problem I've seen her express with that pairing was that the betta was eating all of the corydoras food.

Shrimp are a great option all though some bettas may eat shrimp. You may wanna do a "shrimp safe test" and buy a single cherry shrimp to see if the betta will eat it, wait a few days and if the shrimp still hasn't been eaten your probably fine.

On 7/11/2021 at 8:25 PM, James Black said:

My betta hugo lives with a nirite snail, and did live with a group of neon tetras. The neon tetras did go after his fins so I had to remove them. But the bioload with the snail, hugo and the tetras were just fine in a 5 gallon. I would suggest doing some smaller rasboras with your betta. For example chilli rasboras, or galaxy rasboras. 

@Catfish_Lover_Jane has pygmy corydoras with her betta and it seems to be working out "okay" for her. The only problem I've seen her express with that pairing was that the betta was eating all of the corydoras food.

Shrimp are a great option all though some bettas may eat shrimp. You may wanna do a "shrimp safe test" and buy a single cherry shrimp to see if the betta will eat it, wait a few days and if the shrimp still hasn't been eaten your probably fine.

I had Pygmy cories in my tank with a betta but it was a female betta so she wasn’t as aggressive as a male.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 9:34 PM, Djsa said:

Ive heard kuhli loaches work also but i was just looking for more options

The loaches would probably require a bigger tank.   

A lot of this depends on your betta also.  For ours, he doesn't play well with others.    Snails are a great suggestion! 

I would second the suggestion to get some micro rasboras, though it comes with some caveats. I'm thinking like chilis, kubotai, emerald dwarf, etc. Keep in mind though that most of these species are schooling/shoaling fish, so you'll want to get a group of like 6 to make it work out for them. Also, a 5 gallon is tight, so if you do end up with a territorial betta, there isn't a lot of space for them to cohabitate. Chilis are pretty tight schoolers, so they would probably be your ideal candidate, though they are really hard to find anywhere at the moment. You could also look into a Mexican Dwarf Crayfish. They are slow enough that they won't mess with your betta, but they can also defend themselves if the betta decides to get nippy. Don't let people tell you that a 5 gallon is too small for anything but a single betta, you can really do a lot with that little space if you set it up right. Get lots of live plants in there (especially floating plants) if you can manage it, and that will help make the fish more comfortable and help fight off buildup of waste that could kill off your fish. good luck, and let us know what you go with!

You should be careful about food problems, I would do pygmy cories, not other, larger corydoras, if you want the "catfish" selection. Nerite snail if you want a snail that doesn't reproduce in freshwater. Neon tetras/ember tetras/green neon tetras are great schooling fish for you betta too. As @Ragnarok1200said, get lots of live plants in case your betta is territorial around your tankmates. Pygmy Cories also school, I've learned the hard way by only starting out with 3 so you should get 5 or more for those. The general rule is one snail per 5 gallons. You shouldn't mix species of tetra, for example, don't mix 2 green neon tetras, 2 ember tetras, and 3 neon tetras. Best of luck to your new betta tank! 

Edited by Catfish_Lover_Jane
  • Like 1